Build Project - Which Disc Frameset?

2»

Comments

• It's the cassette tool, not the BB tool
    left the forum March 2023
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Depends which lock-ring.

For thru-axles the indents are on the outside of the ring so you need the BB tool.
  • Yep. Can be either of them. But the point stands. Fair play.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Another very happy Crosslight Pro6 owner here - got my frameset back in november, it was my first proper build and it all went very well indeed. Mine is black, the green would have looked absolutely hideous with my club's blue kit.

I feel conflicted riding it at this time of year as it is so nice.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thanks for all the comments and input - much appreciated. However I have just pulled the trigger on a Genesis Equilibrium Road Disc Frame + Fork.

First saw them advertised on Paul Milnes Ebay website at £385 with the offer of a free Cane Creek 40 headset if you called and payed by debit/credit card.

When I called earlier I was told that they were further reduced to £335 (incl headset) and that they had yet to update their Ebay listing.

So I'm pretty happy with a good chunk off the RRP to go towards other components.

Now the components dilemma begins. Pretty sure I'm going for 11-speed, 105 5800 and will be looking to fit the 11-32 cassette with a medium cage RD. Just got to work out if my 5700 10-speed FD will be OK with the 5800 set up. Bars, stem, seatpost, saddle etc are all coming off my existing Equilibrium so no quandaries there.

Main question to answer now is the disc calipers which will be mechanical to marry with the 5800 STI's. Which ones do I go for? I've seen Avid BB7, TRP Hy-RD, Shimano CX77 but have no idea if one is better than another. I'm sure there are also other brands out there that I've missed.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.
  • Pryally
    Pryally Posts: 132
    For the cost of a FD I would opt for the 5800 one, if its anywhere near as good as the 6800 one it would be money well spent.
    I've tried all the disc brakes mentioned - cx-77, bb7 and spyre are similar (set up on spyres a touch easier) Hy-rd are good but still a lot of lever travel till the brakes bite - ok if you prefer that way. RS-685 are just so much better, but obviously cost a lot more...
  • arlowood
    Pryally wrote:
    RS-685 are just so much better, but obviously cost a lot more...

Yes - a quick check indicates that the 11-speed RS685 STI's will cost about £400 and the calipers about £350. Not really a sensible option at the cost level of my build - although I'm sure the full hydraulic experience is magnificent.
  • Don't worry about the lever travel on the Hy Rd. They are very good and progressive. I used to like having immediate bite when I moved the brake lever but I don't give it a second thought now.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Pryally
    arlowood wrote:
    Pryally wrote:
    RS-685 are just so much better, but obviously cost a lot more...

Yes - a quick check indicates that the 11-speed RS685 STI's will cost about £400 and the calipers about £350. Not really a sensible option at the cost level of my build - although I'm sure the full hydraulic experience is magnificent.

not sure where you got your prices from but STI levers, calipers, hoses, etc are approx £320-£350 as opposed to £110 ish for 105 levers and £180 for HY-RD's so not that much in it. If you speak to anyone who as tried mechanical brakes and then gone to full hydraulic they will all (I think) tell you its well worth the investment.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Novatec do the D771 and D772 in centre lock ugo the problem is there is going to be a long wait to get hubs out of novatec so yes for now it only DT Swiss, White Industries and Shimano CX-75 as well as there MTB hubs. The RS685 STI's come with calipers! For the RRP of £699 you get the full R785 system.

I think shimano also claim improved heat disaption for centrelock hubs as steel bolts don't have to conduct the heat.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • arlowood
    Pryally wrote:

not sure where you got your prices from but STI levers, calipers, hoses, etc are approx £320-£350 as opposed to £110 ish for 105 levers and £180 for HY-RD's so not that much in it. If you speak to anyone who as tried mechanical brakes and then gone to full hydraulic they will all (I think) tell you its well worth the investment.

You're right - got a bit confused with the CRC listings - 11-speed STI's calipers showing at around £350 but no stock until April?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod119977
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I wonder if a tipping point is coming. The arrival of discs is gaining momentum and there appears to be a ground swell of realisation that a UCI weight carbon steed, for most of us, is simply a luxury. And, in this country, tends to be garaged more often than not.

Of course they're a luxury, but no reason to be garaged. 3 of my 4 bikes are close to the UCI limit and are seldom garaged, just well maintained.

I'd wait to see what Mason offer.

Actually I wouldn't buy disc at all :lol:
  • Pryally
    arlowood wrote:
    Pryally wrote:

You're right - got a bit confused with the CRC listings - 11-speed STI's calipers showing at around £350 but no stock until April?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod119977

I bought mine from bike24.de - still in stock
  • Not that this is at all helpful for you in terms of decisions but I have just finished buidling a F&F so thought you might like to see a pic of a finished bike ( as I haven't seen one anywhere else). Still needs some fine tuning ( and riding as I am recovering form a fractured elbow at present) but you get the general idea of how it looks.

eRPfDC3.jpg
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Not that this is at all helpful for you in terms of decisions but I have just finished buidling a F&F so thought you might like to see a pic of a finished bike ( as I haven't seen one anywhere else). Still needs some fine tuning ( and riding as I am recovering form a fractured elbow at present) but you get the general idea of how it looks.

eRPfDC3.jpg

Nice wheels... just like mine

DSC_3498_zps708e0946.jpg
  • arlowood
    Not that this is at all helpful for you in terms of decisions but I have just finished buidling a F&F so thought you might like to see a pic of a finished bike ( as I haven't seen one anywhere else). Still needs some fine tuning ( and riding as I am recovering form a fractured elbow at present) but you get the general idea of how it looks.

eRPfDC3.jpg

Hi there

Looks nice - I presume that you went for the 2015 Equilibrium disc frameset since it looks as though you have a set of carbon forks there. My purchase was the 2014 model in 631 steel with steel forks. Out of interest I have messaged Genesis (and also asked at Paul Milnes shop where I bought my frame) whether the carbon alu fork/steerer on the 2015 model will be available as an aftermarket item for those wishing to upgrade the older frame. No response yet but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, what disc brake system did you opt for? I'm still debating and trying to sort out which system to plump for. Definitely not going full hydraulic as I've already bought a set of 105 5800 STI's
  • Yep, its the 2015 model. I toyed with the idea of the 2014 model but decided to wait for the carbon fork. I was under the impression that the fork won't be an aftermarket item but there is no harm in asking.

I went with the TRP spyre brakes. The reviews were pretty good and I couldn't afford to go full hydro at the moment. Very easy to set up and the lever pull on my Force shifters feels pretty firm.I'm looking forward to see how they work once I'm back on the bike.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The fork genesis now use is a 760g effort. Your old steel fork is 1kg. Ritchey do a road disc fork that weighs 460g so I would go for that if you want a real weight saving. The old steel fork I think is nicer anway with it wheelbase lengthing shape.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    The kinesis 4s disc that is likely to launch at core bike next week will be interesting.
  • Buying a stock frame, hanging a shimano groupset off it and trying to decide which discs etc isn't really a project though is it?

Now THIS what I call a project http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-a-carbon-bike-frame-at-home-and-a-bam/

Yours is just bike assembly :wink:
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Buying a stock frame, hanging a shimano groupset off it and trying to decide which discs etc isn't really a project though is it?

Now THIS what I call a project http://www.instructables.com/id/How-I-built-a-carbon-bike-frame-at-home-and-a-bam/

Yours is just bike assembly :wink:

In the absence of suitable vacuum and autoclave technology I suspect you can make a 2 Kg carbon frame that won't fall apart immediately or a 1 Kg one that will
  • You could always try the bamboo version.

A bloke round here has got a bamboo bike and I keep wanting to ask him about it.

Can't catch him though.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    what forks are those ugo?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    what forks are those ugo?

Planet X XLS with a Hope sticker...
  • pauly69
    pauly69 Posts: 101
    Yep, its the 2015 model. I toyed with the idea of the 2014 model but decided to wait for the carbon fork. I was under the impression that the fork won't be an aftermarket item but there is no harm in asking.

I went with the TRP spyre brakes. The reviews were pretty good and I couldn't afford to go full hydro at the moment. Very easy to set up and the lever pull on my Force shifters feels pretty firm.I'm looking forward to see how they work once I'm back on the bike.

What are those mudguards? Are the stays black?
  • arlowood
    pauly69 wrote:
    Yep, its the 2015 model. I toyed with the idea of the 2014 model but decided to wait for the carbon fork. I was under the impression that the fork won't be an aftermarket item but there is no harm in asking.

What are those mudguards? Are the stays black?

In the absence of a response from Jackalcp they look to me like SKS Bluemels from the design of the mudguard/ support stay bracket. I fitted a set of these to my Forme Longcliffe when I had it. Closer inspection of the pic suggests that the stays are not black - just dark grey metal.