Giant TCR Advanced and Giant TCR Advanced Pro?

bentley18021978
bentley18021978 Posts: 4
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Need help!
What are the differences between the Giant TCR Advanced and TCR Advanced Pro?
Top TCR Advanced model with Ultegra is £1499 and lowest TCR Advanced Pro with 105 is £1799.
What would you buy if you had the choice?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    edited January 2015
    Here are the differences in the carbon frames on the giant website, no mention of a Pro Spec advanced composite, only SL Advanced pro grade and Advanced grade, so I don't know what they mean by that. Also it only appears to be applicable to the fork on the Advanced Pro 2 . You need to ask them or a Giant dealer.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/tec ... nology/55/

I prefer the paint job on the Advanced Pro 2.

Here is one, not mine though. viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13003009
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    edited August 2015
    :D:D
  • Great feedback guys. Doesn't sound like there is much difference in The 105 to the Ultegra from what I've read. Is Ultegra lighter?
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    quick thing, the TCR is being replaced in the next lot of bikes should you care.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • sa0u823e wrote:
    quick thing, the TCR is being replaced in the next lot of bikes should you care.
    Will that be next years line up?
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I got a TCR Advanced Pro 2 as soon as it was in the country (I'm in australia) and its been brilliant.

Its nice to see the UK prices, I paid AU$2499 on my english card when the exchange rate was good so looks like i got a bargain!

From talking to the guys in the shop the only real difference between ultegra and 11spd 105 is the crankset which is a little bit lighter on the ultegra one.

So far I've done about 500/600kms on it and the only problem I had was that the tyres a were terrible (no surprise there), picked up a puncture every ride and they don't roll so well. Upgraded them to a pair of 25mm GP4000s IIs which have made a world of difference!

It is brilliant when climbing, nice and stiff/responsive yet still comfy and corners like a dream!

The only other immediate change I'll be making is swapping the wheels for something a bit more aero though if you check the quoted weights they are pretty good for stock wheels (roughly Fulcrum 5 weight)

You can see some pictures of it here - viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13003009
  • Chris87
    also worth noting 11spd 105 really is amazing.

The shifting is sooooo light and immediate, the ratios seem to be well thought out too.

The only problem is at the moment the trimming is non existent though I'm sure a bit of fettling would sort this out and to be honest I've not really needed it like I did with the old 10spd 105.
  • I own the Giant TCR Advanced 2 '15 (The one with 105)
    The differences are :
      Fork uses 1.25 Overdrive 2 and 1.5 lower as opposed to 1 1/8 top and 1.25 lower. It is still full carbon on either model. I'm not too certain on the grade of carbon Wheels Saddle Giant ridesense using an ANT+ device

The other difference is the gearing. the Advanced uses a 50/34 against a 11-28, the Pro a 52/36 against a 11-25

I didn't see the difference as enough to warrant the extra expenditure when it's using the same frame and similar componentry. I put the money into some Mavic Cosmics, saddle suit to me and a shorter stem (the 1.25 ones are limited in choice). I didn't want to wait for the Ultegra model, and I didn't think I'd be worth the extra groupset.

And then there's the paint job of the Advanced Pro
  • sa0u823e wrote:
    Will that be next years line up?

I can't imagine them retiring the TCR, it's been a good seller for them.

It looks in Pro racing that the Propel is the weapon of choice, but with a weight limit of 6.8kg to take in for account, aero is the way to go faster. If you move into the high 7kg area, then I think there's a slight weight difference and stiffness between the two. Also the brakes take some getting used to
  • Chris87
    From what the Giant reps said the TCR is actually stiffer than the propel because of its carbon layup, which was surprising considering the propel is more of a sprinters bike. Doubt it makes any difference to your average rider though.

Wouldn't be surprised if the new model focuses on being lightweight, seems to be how other companies are approaching the market, that would give them the propel for aero, the defy for comfort and a newer lightweight TCR for climbing.
  • I imagine that's also helped by the compact frame of the TCR, smaller is going to be stiffer