Tyre Levers and Puncture Repair Kit

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I have just buggered up a Schwalbe Extralight inner tube while swapping a tyre over for a trainer tyre. Was as careful as I could be, but I guess not careful enough...

I initially used a set of Tacx tyre levers, but these seem quite bulky for fitting road tyres. So I then used the levers that came in an old Halfords puncture repair kit.

I then attempted to fix two snake bites that were - I am guessing - caused by me pinching the tube with the levers. The patches were pretty crap, and in the end I gave up and swapped the tube for a new Conti Race28. A 40g heavier tube, but seems much tougher.

Can anyone recommend a good set of levers and a decent puncture kit for me to keep in my saddle bag?

Comments

• For me it's a pair of Topeak Shuttle 1.1 levers (or 1.2 if I have the room).

For repairs - a selection of brands of self-adhesive patches (had a bad experience where the vulcanising solution had dried into a small rubbery snot when I came to use it in anger) and at least one spare tube.
  • The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Hmm both of those CRC links look quite similar to the bits in the halfords kit.

I was tempted with the Topeak levers before - but picked the Tacx ones up at LBS a few months back. I might give them a try.

I think I am just being too heavy handed. The problem seemed to be when trying to seat the tyre on the rim over the tube. I guess I snagged the tube on the lever as I was levering...

The schwalbe tubes do feel really really thin compared to the Contis - so it might be a good thing I have swapped them so I don't have this issue if I puncture when out on a ride.
  • Rema TT04 repair kit. Self adhesive patches can fail at higher pressures.
    No levers in my kit.
    Make sure the bead is in the well on the opposite side and it should push off with your thumbs.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I think that may have been my problem - not pushing the bead over to the far side of the rim, so that both beads and the tube where snagged together along with the lever.

I'm used to working with MTB tyres so a little more room - I guess it was a lesson for me :)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I bought Specialized ones in Cycle Surgery which I think are reinforced - much more robust than the Park Tools ones and with a wider edge which I think reduces the pinch risk.

Peter
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Avoid levers if you can, but it depends on your wheel/tyre combo and the strength of your hands. Using your palm to roll the tyre on can help, gets easier with practice.

If I do need to use them I like the Schwalbe levers, they're wider than most of the others.
  • bails1310
    bails1310 Posts: 361
    I've found the following to be pretty good over the years:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park ... p-prod7205

Definatley these, there like crow bars in terms of strength but never in any way damaged or scratched anything, including carbon.

Do agree with tring to do most by hand/thumbs and finish off with these.
    Kuota Kharma Race [Dry/Sunny]
    Raleigh Airlite 100 [Wet/Horrible]
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I managed to snap one of mine and find the Spesh levers much better to avoid pinches (not sure if they have several models - the ones I have stick together in pairs by means of magnetic strips). Horses for courses and all that...!

Peter
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Pedros tyre levers are excellent IME. Usually yellow but I've seen bright pink ones lately
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pedros here also, nice.
  • FeltZ85
    FeltZ85 Posts: 28
    A friend of mine from my local bike shop gave me a Crank Brothers Speedier Lever and i've found it great, it certainly stops me from scraping my knuckles every time
  • I have simple Park Tools tyre levers, which can come in a set with self adhesive tyre patches (which I find to work really well- they patch skinny tubes fine which I really struggle with traditional rubber patches). They do work out at about 50p per patch though, so for thicker tubes I still use the traditional patch method.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Old blue levers that I've had for years and I don't carry patches - I slap a load of talc into the tube boxes, tape them up with duck tape and le voila - pre talced waterproofed tubes.

Maybe not the most efficient way of carrying them but secure, won't turn the whole thing into a skanky mess, neat and means that I don't have to take it all apart at home to talc it up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I haven't used them (I just use the "standard" blue Park ones) so this is a pretty poor recommendation but these look great and I'm tempted to upgrade:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-44397/
  • Blue plastic Park levers, tough as old boots, been using them for years with no breakage.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    FeltZ85 wrote:
    A friend of mine from my local bike shop gave me a Crank Brothers Speedier Lever and i've found it great, it certainly stops me from scraping my knuckles every time
    Yeah the original CB Speedlever is something I've used for a few years now, definitely speeds things up imo. I'm sure the Speedierlever is even erm, speedier .....
  • Old blue levers that I've had for years and I don't carry patches - I slap a load of talc into the tube boxes, tape them up with duck tape and le voila - pre talced waterproofed tubes.

Maybe not the most efficient way of carrying them but secure, won't turn the whole thing into a skanky mess, neat and means that I don't have to take it all apart at home to talc it up.

Why do you need talc on the tube. I can understand if you use it on a freshly glued patch but that's about it really.
  • jif1969
    jif1969 Posts: 29
    I've got a set of Lezyne Matrix levers that I got as a free gift, they are strong with thin hooks and double ended, good for getting tight tyres off, even worked with some impossibly tight pushchair tyres. I use Rema puncture repair kits, seem to do a good permanent repair.