Lower profile headset cap

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
On the verge of ordering a Rose Xeon CDX and it comes with a FSA No.44 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 headset with a 15mm cap (cone spacer).
I think the headset must be this:- http://www.fullspeedahead.com/produc...rated-headset/

Now they can be bought with a 9mm cap it seems (although Rose only fit the 15mm) but i cant find a 9mm cap for buying separately (FSA P/N H2100A)

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/wp-conten ... .44-CF.pdf

Anyone know if i can get a 9mm cap from somewhere or suggest another cap (ie 9mm or lower) that will fit?
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pop to a bike shop and ask what they have kicking around in the drawers in the workshop, there's nothing wacky about using a cap from other makes. Sometimes you might need an extra one of the thin hidden silver metal spacers to clear the topcap from fouling the top of the headtube, or sometimes it can have too much gap there that you can't reduce as there's nothing to take out.

It's far easier to see what will fit when you have them in your hands and can try it.

Bike shops can have these things lying around as they sometimes raid the parts out of complete headsets and these end up being spare, or they strip things down and keep stuff like this as they don't wear out and are handy to keep.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,710
    This^^^ That's what I did for my bike, cost me a packet of Jaffa Cakes.
  • mfin
    Yep, me too (not the jaffa cakes, I just insisted on chucking them a few quid for their tea and biscuit fund as it's cruel to make people eat jaffa cakes), you just want a friendly smaller bike shop really, a large chain will more likely not be interested unless you get to speak to an individual who is interested and friendly.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,710
    mfin wrote:
    Yep, me too (not the jaffa cakes, I just insisted on chucking them a few quid for their tea and biscuit fund as it's cruel to make people eat jaffa cakes), you just want a friendly smaller bike shop really, a large chain will more likely not be interested unless you get to speak to an individual who is interested and friendly.
    Evans in Kingston. They are often maligned but I've not had a problem with them and find them helpful. I got to know them a bit more after winning £250 of vouchers from the survey on the home page here a while back, that helps. But you are right in that you have to get the right person.
  • mfin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Evans in Kingston. They are often maligned but I've not had a problem with them and find them helpful.

That's not surprising to get help in that branch, Jamaicans are generally pretty laid back types.