Too many choices: entry/mid level road clincher wheelsets

Sourav
Sourav Posts: 7
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello,
Want to buy a new wheelset for my CAAD8 SORA, 2013. Bought in India, the maddux wheels came with crappy "quando" hubs. Now, those would be used for training as I get the new ones. I'm staying in Germany for now and I have considered the following wheels after checking with the online retailers: bike24, merlincycles, wiggle, chainreaction, rosebike and bikecomponents. I'm a small rider (below 50Kgs!), so weight is not a concern at all here.
1. Wiil all these wheels can be used with shimano 9 speed driveterrain?
2. Which one of these you'll chose & why?
3. Are all of these stores trustworthy?

Thanks for sharing your opinions....:)

Comments

• Be careful, the Aksium one are for disc brakes only!

1) Yes, they should come supplied with a "spacer", a metal or plastic ring to fit on the free hub body before fitting the cassette.

3) Yes very much so, but I have never heard of Bikecomponents before (that means nothing of course)
    left the forum March 2023
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I would consider the 2015 fulcrum racing 5- they are marked up as LG and have wider rims.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/fulc ... /wg_id-216
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Sourav
    LG?
    Sorry, didn't get that...
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Sourav wrote:
    LG?
    Sorry, didn't get that...

Sorry, its just in the name of the wheels- click through the link and you will see. :)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • I would go for 32 spoke open pro rims with hope (or equivalent) hubs. Put racy rubber on and lighweight tubes for racing and you've got a sturdy racing/ decadent general use wheels. And when the rims inevitably wear out you can just buy new ones and have them rebuilt for a fraction of a new wheel.

The initial outlay is slightly more, but then cheaper in the long run.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    It depends. You haven't mentioned the type of riding you do. If you ride in crappy weather then something easily serviced (cup and cone) would be a good idea. If you want something for just flats, then weight is no big issue. Similarly, if the roads have a lot of potholes, something durable makes sense (probably most of those listed). If you do a lot of hills, I would go Aksiums or save some cash and get Zondas.

I find the low-end Shimano range uninspiring but good for this time of year but many folks I know also rate Fulcrum. Maybe pick the one you like the look of?

£5 says someone will say "bombproof" shortly...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    At 50kg you can go lighter than 32. That's overkill.

Id look at the fulcrum racing 5, although may be a bit stiff for you. Can you get a pair of RS80s (no need for the newer 81s if still 9speed). I hear these are more comfortable.

I could always drop the handbuilt bombshell, as you're so light!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    As others have said the 2015 Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels appear to be a good buy. Wide rim at a decent overall weight and price. They are £200 at Merlin.
  • Sourav
    Racing 5LG seems a real crowd-puller :D; rs 61 is also under consideration but little heavier I think. Mostly would be used in roads with potholes for long-rides with occasional racing in India. Anyone know about Vision Team30, especially getting one set at 150 euro only?
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    holiver wrote:
    As others have said the 2015 Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels appear to be a good buy. Wide rim at a decent overall weight and price. They are £200 at Merlin.
    Or even cheaper from Germany, especially with the currently weak Euro
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2
    €218 or £168 at 1.3 Euros to the Pound
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,888
    Alex222 wrote:
    holiver wrote:
    Or even cheaper from Germany, especially with the currently weak Euro
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2
    €218 or £168 at 1.3 Euros to the Pound

The cheapest is still that posted by Menthel:
    menthel wrote:
    I would consider the 2015 fulcrum racing 5- they are marked up as LG and have wider rims.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/fulc ... /wg_id-216

That's £160 delivered, and Bike Discount are really easy to deal with - not that I am suggesting the others are not, just that I would not hesitate to use them.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • overlord2
    overlord2 Posts: 339
    coriordan wrote:
    I could always drop the handbuilt bombshell, as you're so light!

At 60Kg i've broken spokes on factory wheels. Also break a spoke on a factory wheel good luck getting home, you'll be calling a taxi. We go 32 spoke so if one does break we will get home you won't on your 20s.

Racing/posing - factory
    Anything else - hand built.

Like a lot of things in life you learn the hard way.