Carbon clinchers

moefoemil
moefoemil Posts: 254
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
I'm looking to buy a pair of 50mm carbon wheels, has anybody had any experience of these wheels? I was looking at Eb@y/China ones, but would rather buy from UK.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Cheers
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ATG-Deep-Rim-50-Carbon-Road-Wheelset-Shimano-Sram-Freehub-10-11-Spd-Clincher-/371184475890?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item566c519ef2
Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    A few of us on here have FSE clinchers. I really rate mine.

About £500 delivered.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You can now get them in the UK for £500, with at least some degree of support.

Check out:
    Amp Hoops (I have these and very happy)
    Superstar Components
    Club Roost
    Zuus
  • 50 mm clinchers are getting a bit of a cliche' and there are loads of them on the market.
    If you want them for the look, then get the ones you like of course, but if you want them for aerodynamics, then you have to be a bit more discerning:
    Deep rims work in two ways

1) They shorten the spoke length, hence offer less frontal area

2) They deflect the air flow away from the spokes, hence reducing the drag.

While all 50 mm deep rims will comply with the first point, that is pretty much irrelevant in terms of gain, while the second point is the most interesting. Typical narrow V shaped rims fail to deflect the air flow and don't perform particularly well... on top of that they are very nervous in cross winds.

Wider and better shaped rims (with the tyre on, imagine the section of a perfect egg) called "toroidal" are far more efficient in doing so. US manufacturers pioneered this rim shape (HED, Zipp etc... ) and it is now getting mainstream even among far eastern imports. However, there are still loads of "old fashioned" rims around... so shop wisely... look for width, as well as shape... you want a O or a U more than a V
    left the forum March 2023