Colnago C60 sizing.

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Can anyone give me a bit of advice with regards Colnago C60 sizing. Im going to pop into a dealer on Monday for advice and hopefully a sizing but I thought I would ask on here as well.

I am 177cm tall with a 84cm inseam and a arm span of 179cm.

I have asked the advice of a few people and the recommendation seems to be to go for a 52s unless I am pretty flexable then I could get on a 50s.

I have searched high and low and seen lots of different thoughts on sizing, one thing that does come up a lot is you need a stem of at least 110mm+.

Comments

• gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    52 would be the best size for your height :wink:
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    For a £3000 frame, you would be well advised to be properly measured up by the dealer who is likely to have bike fit experience if they stock boutique frames. For someone a shade under 5 10 - you really are in the realm of both the 50 and 52. The Lemond formula for your inseam suggests 74cm saddle height from bottom bracket.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    I would be 52 and Im 178/87/178. I have a 52 EP which is the same geo with a 120mm stem. The 50 would be too low at the front for me. The reason for using longer stems on these is because of the shallower than normal headtube. I suspect a 50S would be best for you. But Id have a bike fit if you havent already.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    On a 50s or 52s, if you end up with around a 110-120 stem with the resulting fit being bang on for you, you are about right. A bike that fits someone well at your height should ideally fall with a stem of about that length and if you did end up with more than about 15mm of spacers, in most people's cases they'd be starting to force a bike's geometry to fit anyway.

Definitely go to the dealer. I'm going to casually bet you are most likely to want a 50s from the measurements you are saying, but it is possible it could go either way!

Wait and see on Monday!! Enjoy :)
  • mfin
    I would be 52 and Im 178/87/178. I have a 52 EP which is the same geo with a 120mm stem. The 50 would be too low at the front for me. The reason for using longer stems on these is because of the shallower than normal headtube. I suspect a 50S would be best for you. But Id have a bike fit if you havent already.

The reason for using longer stems on these is NOT because of the shallower than normal headtube.

1) Because stems of 110-120 are NOT 'longer stems', they are about the normal intention for the frame size.
    2) Because it does not drastically raise the height much, and reach needs to be the reason for stem length.
    3) Oh, and C60's don't have short headtubes at all, they are about average. (Try a Storck for an example of a short headtube).
  • I'm coming off a 54cm SL-4 and I also have a Venge in the same size. Under the stems on both of them I have 15mm of spacers plus the 5mm top cap, anything less put me in too much of a aggressive position. I have 120mm stems on both with -6 deg rise.

I did have a 56cm SL-4 but it felt too big and I was running a 100mm stem on it and felt my position on it was not right, the 54cm felt far better.

Monday will be interesting but I might also have a sizing sorted with Adrian Timmis hopefully all going well.
  • letap73
    I'm coming off a 54cm SL-4 and I also have a Venge in the same size. Under the stems on both of them I have 15mm of spacers plus the 5mm top cap, anything less put me in too much of a aggressive position. I have 120mm stems on both with -6 deg rise.

I did have a 56cm SL-4 but it felt too big and I was running a 100mm stem on it and felt my position on it was not right, the 54cm felt far better.

Monday will be interesting but I might also have a sizing sorted with Adrian Timmis hopefully all going well.

If anything the venge and sl 4 geometry seem slightly more aggressive with more reach to stack. I would not be surprised if you reach a good fit with either the 50 or the 52.
  • letap73 wrote:
    I'm coming off a 54cm SL-4 and I also have a Venge in the same size. Under the stems on both of them I have 15mm of spacers plus the 5mm top cap, anything less put me in too much of a aggressive position. I have 120mm stems on both with -6 deg rise.

If anything the venge and sl 4 geometry seem slightly more aggressive with more reach to stack. I would not be surprised if you reach a good fit with either the 50 or the 52.

Yes thats what I was thinking. The 50s has a 145mm stack height v the SL4/Venge at 140mm. Plus it then has 2mm or so of headset cup and the choice of either a 5mm or a 15mm headset spacer/bearing cover. Or I could go for a 52s with a 5mm headset spacer.
  • mfin
    That is not stack height, that's head tube length. But headtube length can't be looked at in isolation if one bike has more BB drop than the Spesh. So, for example, IF the Colnago had a 5mm lower BB then the headtube could be considered to be 5mm longer again in a laymans term way of looking at it.

Then you've also got the headset design as well (unless you change it), the height of the conical top cap, you say 5mm cap on the Spesh, the Colnago is more than that. Plus the height of the colnago headset press in cups is about 2mm on EACH end of the headtube as well, these things add up a bit.

You mentioned a 5mm/15mm cap on the Colnago. Is it? I thought they were supplying the Acros type on the C60, could be wrong though.

Anyway, the point is measure up nice and carefully taking everything into account!
  • mfin wrote:
    That is not stack height, that's head tube length. But headtube length can't be looked at in isolation if one bike has more BB drop than the Spesh. So, for example, IF the Colnago had a 5mm lower BB then the headtube could be considered to be 5mm longer again in a laymans term way of looking at it.

Then you've also got the headset design as well (unless you change it), the height of the conical top cap, you say 5mm cap on the Spesh, the Colnago is more than that. Plus the height of the colnago headset press in cups is about 2mm on EACH end of the headtube as well, these things add up a bit.

You mentioned a 5mm/15mm cap on the Colnago. Is it? I thought they were supplying the Acros type on the C60, could be wrong though.

Sorry I was reading one lot of measurement and writing another lol. Over had numbers going round in my head since I started comparing the bikes.

Its 543mm (plus a 4mm spacer=547mm) stack on the SL4,
    547mm on the 50s + 2mm = 549mm + 4mm or 15mm so 553mm/564mm
    565mm on the 52s + 2mm = 568mm + 4mm or 15mm so 572mm/583mm

I have checked with people and they say they come with a 15mm or 4mm headset top covers but I will find out more on Monday for sure.
  • on-yer-bike
    mfin wrote:

The reason for using longer stems on these is NOT because of the shallower than normal headtube.

1) Because stems of 110-120 are NOT 'longer stems', they are about the normal intention for the frame size.
    2) Because it does not drastically raise the height much, and reach needs to be the reason for stem length.
    3) Oh, and C60's don't have short headtubes at all, they are about average. (Try a Storck for an example of a short headtube).
    I said shallower not shorter referring to the headtube angle.
    I know C60s dont have particularly short headtubes
    I know the reason for stem length isnt too do with height.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mfin
    So you think the angle of the headtube is so drastically shallower or further from the 90 compared to other bikes that it needs compensating for with considerably longer stems?

Ok then :)
  • on-yer-bike
    mfin wrote:
    So you think the angle of the headtube is so drastically shallower or further from the 90 compared to other bikes that it needs compensating for with considerably longer stems?

Not considerably longer in my case its 1 cm. If you stopped to think about it you might realise that it makes sense. But I doubt very much you have the capacity.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • mfin
    mfin wrote:

Not considerably longer in my case its 1 cm. If you stopped to think about it you might realise that it makes sense. But I doubt very much you have the capacity.

Ah I see, but before xmas you were asking basic obvious bike geometry things like how frames with differing headtube lengths could have the same stack height, so that's a bit rich of you.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, the stem needs to be what the stem needs to be, and stems such as 120mm on bikes of this size are not 'long' by any means.

Hopefully the OP will get the right fit on one of the sizes and enjoy the bike that's the main thing!
  • Went to get sized on one and I have been advised a 52s but just to be certain I am visiting Adrian Timmis at Cadance sport on Friday.
  • letap73
    Went to get sized on one and I have been advised a 52s but just to be certain I am visiting Adrian Timmis at Cadance sport on Friday.

Good job - Timmis is a very unpretentious chap who will see you right.