Inner thigh soreness

BendikT95
BendikT95 Posts: 3
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello!
For many months now, I have struggeld with chafing on my inner thighs. My bike is an Giant TCR, and for the last two years I have used the standard Giant saddle that came with the bike. After some indoor training, my inner thighs suddenly start hurting a lot. It was very painful to have rides that lasted for more than one hour. I bought a Fizik Anteres Versus saddle. That did help a little, since my rides now could be extended to 1,5 hour. Recently I tried to lower my seat hight, and it instantly became a lot better. Now I have trained between 1,5 - 2,5 hours during the last four days, and it seems to be better than in a very long time, although it was a bit painful yesterday and it seems hard to get a session today.
My right inner thigh is a lot more painful than my left, and i also have 54 cm bike, which should be just right for me. I do suspect that it has to do with the width of the saddle (the saddles are to wide), but I'm not totally sure about this, since Fizik is considerd to be one of the more narrower saddle brands (?). Do you have any suggestions that might would help me? Any saddles that is better at preventing this than others?

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    It could be nothing to do with your saddle, It could be solved with a different pair of shorts by the way the pad sits and the material. What shorts do you use?
  • Do you use chamois cream?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    dwanes wrote:
    It could be nothing to do with your saddle, It could be solved with a different pair of shorts by the way the pad sits and the material.
    ^^This plus try some Vaseline or chamois cream where it is rubbing.
  • Dippydog3
    Dippydog3 Posts: 414
    Make sure your shorts are really tight and pulled high. If you do that and they fit you properly you should get no chafe at all. This will involve flattening your manhood!

If you need cream the fit is wrong. Chafe is skin rubbing on skin (which it shouldnt do, the skin should be covered by Lycra) or the edge of Lycra against skin (which shouldn't happen either as the edges should be high and tight and therefore not near the big movement zones).
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Seconded on the tight shorts thing. Also, I found badly fitted shorts that didn't chafe in the dry became murderous when wet.
  • Have you been able to ride the bike for long periods without this problem in the past? If so what has changed since then (saddle moved? new shorts? gained weight?). If you have always had this problem then see the posts above. Are you wearing anything under your shorts?
  • I'm using the Assoss Cento-shorts. Chamois is always applied to my painful area. I have changed between different shorts, with almost the same result. I have gained somewhere around 5-8 kiloes in weight over the last year, but I'm not a heavy rider with my total of 73 kiloes. Could it might have something to du with the u-shape my saddle has? It coud be that the "sharp" edges is the main problem.