Open Paves V Pro4 Endurance

DKay
DKay Posts: 1,652
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any direct experience of both tyres in 25mm? I really like my current Pro4 Endurance tyres; they roll well, have a large, wide profile, wear is good and their cut resistance is excellent. I've used Evo Corsas in the summer and just loved their super-supple feel and speed and wondered if the Paves offer something similar, but with the durability of the Pro4s. Or am I asking for too much?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Paves are fab tyres - I even use 27c on my SS commuter - but they do wear quite quickly and aren't cheap. They feel wonderful and assured and the grip (especially on wet cobbles as you'd expect) is excellent. I don't have experience of the Endurance - I use the SC variety on my roadie in the summer (and 25c Pave in the winter)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • i've just this week switched from open pave 27mm rear and 25mm front, to Pro4 Endurance 25mm.

Love the open pave, but as meanredpider says, they wear quickly, ain't cheap and they cut up quite easily. i'll probably move back to open pave in the summer but fancied something abit tougher for winter.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Personally I wouldn't use the Paves in the summer - partly because they're really a wet weather tyre and secondly because I've found them a little bit slower.

I've told this story before, but when I got my Foil, I stuck Paves on (the green worked really well - as a fringe benefit), but, as hard as I tried (and I really tried) I couldn't match my flat segment times that I'd put in on the Volagi on Rubino Pros. I actually started to doubt the Foil. Then I tried Rubinos on the Foil and, suddenly, the times were there again. Given that the Paves are twice the price of the Rubino Pros (at least) and the Paves aren't as robust, I save them for winter riding. I have no hesitation in recommending their grip and I haven't yet had a flat in one on either bike (quite remarkable on the commuter as I'm riding through Amsterdam where there can be plenty of glass).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DKay
    edited January 2015
    Cheers guys. Think I'll stay with the Pro4 Endurances as I just love their cut resistance. The Open Corsas I used last were awesome until the centre tread pattern wore smooth. After that, they were incredibly susceptible to cuts and nicks and had to be junked.
  • DKay wrote:
    Does anyone have any direct experience of both tyres in 25mm? I really like my current Pro4 Endurance tyres; they roll well, have a large, wide profile, wear is good and their cut resistance is excellent. I've used Evo Corsas in the summer and just loved their super-supple feel and speed and wondered if the Paves offer something similar, but with the durability of the Pro4s. Or am I asking for too much?

I've used both and the paves feel amazing but are softer and cut more easily than any other tyre I have used, pro4 endurance is much more rigid feeling than pave but cuts way way less and wears less quickly. Pave are worth it for the glorious ride quality and feel but as they are more expensive than pro4 ends, cut more easily and wear a bit faster I consider them a luxurious treat!

but as Im worth it I have paves on this winter after a couple of years being frugal running pro4 ends and gp4ks
  • I did own a pair of Pave' 27 tubulars.. they were OK, nice, but nothing special... consistently slower than their relative Corsa CX. On the Flemmish cobbles they were OK, but again nothing spectacular, the Corsa were better even there
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for the further input folks. :)
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I use Pave clinchers and tubulars and yes they are a bit slower but hey they are training tyres so they should be harder work. Really like the grip but the Open Corsa and its tubular cousin are my favourite road tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Open Pave and Pro3's compete in my experience for the most easily cut tyres. Would not/ will not have either anywhere near a bike of mine. Pro4's are a different proposition - I only have experience of the Service Course version which were plenty robust for me.

Peter