CAAD10 Ultegra '15 and 28mm tyres.

amack
amack Posts: 70
edited February 2015 in Road buying advice
Does anyone know if this years CAAD10 Ultegra will take 28mm tyres? The guys in my lbs looked at me funny and weren't really sure but thought just the 25's they come with. I guess they thought if you want that size get a Synapse but I really like the fit and look of the CAAD10 and as the country roads I mostly ride on are so rough - isn't everywhere! - I thought 28s might take edge off the bumps.

I've seen a few threads but none very conclusive and I thought I'd read somewhere this years CAADs had room for bigger tyres - but I could have imagined that! - I just wondered if there were any 2015 CAAD10 owners with any answers?

Thanks.

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    25mm tyres is the maxium recommended tyre size for use with BR-6800 calipers.

http://si.shimano.com/#seriesList/38 look at DM-BR0003-06-ENG.pdf page 12. Also confirmed on the specificatons page http://productinfo.shimano.com/specifications.html For Type select Road, for Component select Brake (Caliper Brake), for Series select Ultegra and hit the Submit button. Will take you to brake caliper specifications table. Column 1 showns BR-6800 maximum tyre size 25C.
  • Good point. You'd need 5800 calipers for clearance, regardless of frame clearance.
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    Thanks,also that link you posted DJ58 is very useful. interestingly the new 105 allows up to 28mm across its range. Maybe I could try a 105 calliper if there was room in the frame.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Well yes you could try the 5800, however I'd do some more research first to ascertain whether there is enough frame and fork clearance to take a 28mm tyre, before you replace the existing calipers.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Just buy some Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm - I have them on my Zondas and the come up at 27mm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    arlowood wrote:
    Just buy some Michelin Pro4 Service Course 25mm - I have them on my Zondas and the come up at 27mm

Do you think the frame will accept 27mm tyres just because it says 25mm on the box and sidewall then? :roll:

Anyone else feeling a little sorry for this CAAD 10 that is about to be 'Synapsed'?
    Swapping Ultegra brakes for 105 just to squeeze huge tyres in seems mad to me, but each to there own.

Guess the bike will not need the better brakes with the slower tyres anyway :wink:
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do you think the frame will accept 27mm tyres just because it says 25mm on the box and sidewall then? :roll:

No - give me some credit in the common sense department.

Just suggesting to the OP that if a standard 28mm branded tyre is a struggle to fit then the Pro4 SC might be an option if he is looking for a larger volume tyre as they seem to come up slightly bigger than the 25mm claimed size.
  • So I have this exact bike and have just fitted the Continental GP 4 season 28mm tyre. There is actually a fair bit of clearance still.....Happy days!
  • willfox.83 wrote:
    So I have this exact bike and have just fitted the Continental GP 4 season 28mm tyre. There is actually a fair bit of clearance still.....Happy days!

So what made you choose a lightweight aggressive geometry race bike then put tractor tires on it?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Paris - Roubaix. Bit worried about how comfortable it will be but cant afford a specific bike for the event
  • It's a great bike, good luck with Paris Roubaix. Smart choice with the tyres.
  • Just buy one 27mm or 28mm tyre and see how they fit. You can always exchange them or send them back.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.