waterproof/resistant leg warmers

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some waterproof/water resistant leg warmers which will keep rain out in medium-heavy rain.

I know rain gets through everything eventually but thinking about using them for my commute to work (which is about 20 minutes each way) and haven't had great experience with overtrousers so wanted to give these a try.

I've seen the castelli nanotech warmers and also the sportful no-rain leg warmers. Does anyone have experience of these or any others?

Comments

• I have the sportful no rain knee warmers and I like them a lot. Warm as well as water resistant...only problem is their black colour doesn't match the black of my shorts :(

I have the castelli nanoflex arm warmers and don't rate these as much...I'd get the sportful version next time I think
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    starbuck wrote:
    I'm looking for some waterproof/water resistant leg warmers which will keep rain out in medium-heavy rain.

Seriously, I think you have no chance of finding a "warmer" that will keep out medium-heavy rain. For something waterproof enough, you really need hardshell. The Assos SturmPrinz is meant to be good according to a riding buddy with a pair. Expensive though! Personally I go for "warm" rather than "dry"
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    I used castelli nanoflex leg warmers for my commute through milton keynes/train/london, roughly 40mins of riding each way, they won't keep you dry in heavy rain but like a wetsuit they will keep you warm and when you take them off you will only be left with slightly clammy legs, paired up with some 3/4 mtb shorts, a base layer and a goretex paclite jacket I was always pretty comfy on the commute even in freezing rain, and a few times riding through flooded paths.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I have the sportful no rain knee warmers and I like them a lot. Warm as well as water resistant...only problem is their black colour doesn't match the black of my shorts :(

I have the castelli nanoflex arm warmers and don't rate these as much...I'd get the sportful version next time I think
    I thought Sportful and Castelli were basically the same as they're made in the same factory?

Got some Castelli Nanoflex legwarmers for Christmas, they do seem to repel a bit of water but when it's raining heavily you're going to get wet, even if your commute is only 20 minutes. I don't really think that having wet legs is much of an issue though!
  • thegibdog wrote:
    I have the sportful no rain knee warmers and I like them a lot. Warm as well as water resistant...only problem is their black colour doesn't match the black of my shorts :(

I thought Sportful and Castelli were basically the same as they're made in the same factory?

Got some Castelli Nanoflex legwarmers for Christmas, they do seem to repel a bit of water but when it's raining heavily you're going to get wet, even if your commute is only 20 minutes. I don't really think that having wet legs is much of an issue though!

Same company different products, though I'm sure they share the tech about. Still don't understand why they dont make a gabba arm warmer? Where the nanoflex falls down for me is that they are thinner/colder than the gabba material...so the arm warmers for me noticeably feel worse. Both will let rain in but the gabba will keep you warmer.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Check out the Lusso Max Repel line. I have arm and leg warmers. They are very warm, fit well for me, seem to survive showers and when wet not be a soggy mess and retain warmth.

See a BR review here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ers-18035/
  • roryo07
    roryo07 Posts: 15
    Hi mate,

These are water resistant and windproof :)

Quite expensive but WindStopper always is!

http://www.tgstore.co.uk/universal-warmers-p-3987.html