Cycling up Alpe d'Huez in 6 months time....

2»

Comments

• thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Don't do it.

Your knees will explode, your lungs will collapse shortly before your heart hits terminal fibrillation and you will die of oxygen starvation.

Don't listen to those people who say they've done it, they wait until they're out of sight on one of the bends and jump on a mini-bus to the top, throw a bucket of water over themselves and punch eat other in the face to make it look convincing.

It's all true, I heard it on the internet thing,

If you want a great day out and try out the longest climb in the UK, Bealach na Ba is yer man. It's in Wester Ross of Scotland so playing the Proclaimers is de rigueur for the ride. There's a 50 odd mile loop you can do and it's a bucket list ride in itself.
    I've done both several times (there is a 90 mile loop which includes Beleach Na Ba) and there is no contest. The Scottish beast is much tougher!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    TheFD wrote:
    I've done both several times (there is a 90 mile loop which includes Beleach Na Ba) and there is no contest. The Scottish beast is much tougher!!

Really? Oh. Mate has just convinced me to do the Beleach na Ba run this Summer...

Warms up the triple...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • thefd
    TheFD wrote:

Really? Oh. Mate has just convinced me to do the Beleach na Ba run this Summer...

Warms up the triple...
    It depends what you do before it - but I found the Beleach tougher. It isn't as long but it is much steeper and the wind (if it is against you) can really add to the toughness. If you continue up the coast you will find that challenging also. Most people think after the Beleach that the rest is easy - not the case! Alpe d'Huez is long but not that steep!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I think almost anyone who can ride a bike can cycle up the Alpe, although it may take some time. I rode up with my then 14 year old son a few years back. He hadn't done much cycling but managed it comfortably in a couple of hours, we enjoyed the view, stopped a couple of times to take photos. The only place where we had to walk was getting through the market in the village a the top. A day or two later I nearly killed myself and rode it in less than half the time. If you want a fast time, start a serious training programme now, if you just want to have an enjoyable day out, keep active on the bike in the coming months and take the Alpe at your own pace. For full bragging rights you need to go past the first finishing line you come to and follow the signs to the TdF finish, about 1km further on.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    TheFD wrote:
    TheFD wrote:

Warms up the triple...
    It depends what you do before it - but I found the Beleach tougher. It isn't as long but it is much steeper and the wind (if it is against you) can really add to the toughness. If you continue up the coast you will find that challenging also. Most people think after the Beleach that the rest is easy - not the case! Alpe d'Huez is long but not that steep!

Lots of friends that have done the Beleach (on my To Do list) and they agree - in fact they say it's the bit AFTER that's harder
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I know a bit about threshold power (hubby is a time trialist) but I'm not concerned about how quick I can get up there (hubby might be but he can come back for me, haha) so will probably be operating below threshold anyway I guess!!

If you manage to be able to do the climb below threshold then that's really all you need to worry about? If you are below threshold then you should be able to go on for a number of hours.

As others have said, you're better off knowing what your threshold is so you don't spend too much time over it. A few guys I know did it in June last year and did it in about 38 minutes: https://www.strava.com/segments/2239907 so knowing what you can hold for 1 hour will be a great guide.
  • thefd
    A few guys I know did it in June last year and did it in about 38 minutes: https://www.strava.com/segments/2239907 so knowing what you can hold for 1 hour will be a great guide.
    That's only 1/2 of it!?!?!?

Pantani holds the record for the full thing which is 38 minutes!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • This is the full thing https://www.strava.com/segments/683473?filter=overall. KOM of 42:15
  • I'm hoping to tackle this one in May https://www.strava.com/segments/649635 I've been down but not up. It would be by far the biggest climb I've ever done and certainly the only HC climb. Just need to lose a bit of weight first :(
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I'd love to go back to the Alpe and give it full beans up one ascent just to see how quick I could do it just the one time. I wouldn't be fast
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Thanks all....I'm glad I still have a good bit of time before we go! I have lost my first stone in weight so very pleased about that, am I am feeling fitter and healthier, obviously loving that!

Motivation to train IS hard at times isn't it, having just gone back to work after maternity leave, getting home, sorting kids out etc then needing to get on the bike after they have gone to bed and before dinner etc can be a bit of a bind at times, UNTIL I get off, feel great about the session and look forward to what I can achieve....can't wait to see the amazing views from the mountain and I'm told the beer at the top will never have tasted so good :-)

Thank you for all of the tips and positive vibes....onwards and upwards :-) x
  • Don't overthink it... lots of unfit people go up the Alpe d'Huez... in the hey days of mr Lance he even brought Cheryl Crow up the Alpe! If you are happy to go up in as long as it takes, it won't be a problem... if you aspire to go up in less than an hour, then it is a different matter altogether
    left the forum March 2023