Trek Emoda SL , Cervelo R3 or Cannondale Evo six or Synapse

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
At this moment in time I ve got a Planet X pro carbon Sl .
Over time I ve built it up with Full Ultegra 6800 and Ksyrium Elites.

I ve now got the opportunity to do one of the Following.

Buy a 2013 Cervelo R3 ( 5700 series 105 and RS500'S) For £1500 NOS

Buy a brand new Trek Emonda SL Frameset (only) For £1350

Buy a Cannodale Evo Six (same spec as R3 ) £1100

OR Buy a Cannodale Synapse Carbon with same spec as R3/ Evo for £1400.

The plan is to carry over the components from the full bikes ( all but the Emonda) onto the Planet X and sell it to fund a better set of wheels .

My quandaries are the following.

I am leaning towards the R3 , but its 2013 external cable routing, and I would have to fit a converter (BB right to Shimano) to run my current crankset. Or keep the cheap FSA one on it, or use cash from the sale of the Planet x to buy a nice Rotor Crank. (I am worried the conversion might creak)

Same issue with both the Cannondales and BB30 adapters.

The Trek is Frameset only. and very much like the R3 frame but with internal cabling, (Di 2 compatability) and a bottom bracket I can fit the chainset straight on to. but its frameset only.

I ve riden all the bikes ( although the trek was a different build to what I will end up with) and so far its the R3 that floats my boat and the Emonda.

I do occasional sportives, a Sunday club run of about 60 miles and another solo of about the same distance during the week. I ve other bikes for other things, This will be the best bike. I don't race, other than the odd sprint Tri which I would use this bike on as I do them for fun and fitness not competition.

Any thoughts.

Comments

• Sounds like it's the Trek or Cervélo then, I guess you could ask yourself if someone were to offer you one for free which would you walk away with?

I had the groupset changed to Campag on my Cervélo and used c-bear which I can highly recommend;
    http://www.c-bear.com/en/en-pages/ceram ... les-en.php
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • tim_wand
    Sounds like it's the Trek or Cervélo then, I guess you could ask yourself if someone were to offer you one for free which would you walk away with?

I had the groupset changed to Campag on my Cervélo and used c-bear which I can highly recommend;
    http://www.c-bear.com/en/en-pages/ceram ... les-en.php

Honest answer to that question is the Cervelo. but I don't know if I m letting Brand Snobbery cloud my judgement.

As for the adapters, obviously I need to step down a 30mm axle to 24 mm axle and account for another 11 mm on the asymmetric (non driveside) area of the bottom bracket shell. As the original BB will be pressed into the frame, will this need removing and replacing with the adapter as shown , or is it just a case of sleeving the axle housing down to 24mm. I am confused. If I ve got to take press fit bearings out and replace them , then I d probably just fork out extra money for the BB right compatible crankset. as I don't have the tools or skills.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Sure you can get a 2014 R3 frameset for asame money as the Trek or get the new R2 and swap wheels with yor existing.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • tim_wand
    The Bike is a R3 105 G20 , Which the description is a 2014 frameset, the image shows the Silver Grey 2013 With external cable routing. The 2014 YM R3's are Black and Blue I believe with internal cabling ( this is the one I ve test riden) and there are currently no Framesets available in my size , only full bikes at £2399 ( Best Price)

The R2'S use the same frame as the 2014 R3's but again are not available in my size frameset only at the moment
    Complete bike only at £1999

I am going to speak to the retailer who is showing the R3 full build in stock and check which frame year model and spec it is for sure on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be the one with internal cabling.

Its only an issue, because I am sure at some point in the future I will probably want to fit a DI 2 Groupset.

This months Cycling Plus has got a review on the R2 and The Emonda SL 6 ( Which is what effectively my build would be when complete) and they are both come up very similar. But again the brand snob in me favours the Cervelo.
  • tim_wand
    Basically Looks like the R3 105 G20 spec is the older frameset with the external cable routing. Bikes with Ultegra spec and higher come with the newer frameset with internal cabling. As do the new R2'S .Hence the £500 differentiation in price.

As long as I never intend to run DI2 or hydraulic brakes I don't see it as a problem. ( I don't at this stage) and external cabling is a lot easier to keep on top of the maintenance , be easier for me to swap the gruppos over too.