Fashion conscious roadie attire

Comments

• cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    I said that I would never wear Lycra, coming from a bmx background and previously taking the mick out of roadies. Now I wouldn't ride on the road without wearing Lycra, so much more comfortable & a lot cooler in summer.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,497
    I have some 7 year old Santini twistgel bib shorts that have a really nice thickish material all over.

The last 2 Santini pairs I bought have been the more traditional lycra finish, so not sure if they make them anymore - but it has existed!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rolf F wrote:

How can you have been riding for years and not be aware of plain black lycra shorts? They are what they are and every cycle kit manufacturer makes them. Most of us wear them - I rarely see cyclists in anything else. They are no more stylish when made by Rapha as when made by Decathlon because none of them have any particular style. They all look the same when they are plain black provided you make sure there are no silly logos on (which usually crack up and look rubbish in no time).

I'm 'aware' of them. I'm looking for something with a little more panache, and certaily looking for something a little less see through than regular black lycra shorts.

Maybe matt black, not shiny. Who knows? Imagine the ethos of the outcome if someone smashed some 'plain black lycra shorts' into the dopest pair of jeans you've ever owned.
    I just wanted some ideas on brands a little more 'outside-the-bloomin-box'.
    I don't think that there are many brands of black lycra shorts that are actually see through when new. It's down to whether or not they wear see through in time and whether anyone tells you that they are see through when they are.

But as I said - black lycra shorts are pretty samey. If they are black and fit and are a reasonable length on your legs, they look exactly the same whatever brand you go for - the only difference is the name. What matters is whether you get on with the pad or not.
    Imagine the ethos of the outcome if someone smashed some 'plain black lycra shorts' into the dopest pair of jeans you've ever owned.

I'm trying to but I haven't the faintest idea what this means! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213

I'm 'aware' of them. I'm looking for something with a little more panache, and certaily looking for something a little less see through than regular black lycra shorts.

Maybe matt black, not shiny. Who knows? Imagine the ethos of the outcome if someone smashed some 'plain black lycra shorts' into the dopest pair of jeans you've ever owned.
    I just wanted some ideas on brands a little more 'outside-the-bloomin-box'.

So far there's been some great answers. Keep em coming.

I'm not convinced Rapha is cool at all. In the skateboard world they would be derided for their opulent pompousness. Whereby, a bit like a 'Jaaaaaag' - only a certain age and status demographic of people can afford. Having said that they looks like well made accoutrements innit.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-pro-c ... bib-short/

Matt finish, substantial thickness, not see-through, plain or with subtle highlights, reasonable price. All you requested in the shorts department.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Achingly cool, Japanese-designed, Italian-made, entirely plain black cycling shorts (and other gear) from a brand-new company. Cytec pad means you will also stay comfortable (apparently)

http://www.pedaled.com/product/view/Raku-Bib-Short#

Personally I find it hard to think of black shorts as fashion and can't say I've ever noticed a single thing about any other rider's black shorts.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FitzM
    FitzM Posts: 232
    Achingly cool, Japanese-designed, Italian-made, entirely plain black cycling shorts (and other gear) from a brand-new company. Cytec pad means you will also stay comfortable (apparently)

http://www.pedaled.com/product/view/Raku-Bib-Short#

Personally I find it hard to think of black shorts as fashion and can't say I've ever noticed a single thing about any other rider's black shorts.

Beautiful indeed and they make Rapha seem underpriced :shock:
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Just get the club kit so you look the same as the rest of the group and therefore don't need to stand out.
    As for plain black...Assos for me :)
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    wap-030.jpg
  • neeb
    Oh, sorry... did you say understated..? :D

Seriously, nothing is going to look better than plain black bib shorts, and any "fashion" elements added to those are necessarily going to be subtle and not particularly apparent.

For the jersey you have more options I suppose, but at the end of the day for serious road cycling you are going to be wearing figure-hugging lycra so it basically just comes down to colours and logos.
  • Etxeondo all day long. It's just lovely kit.
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Rolf F wrote:

Imagine the ethos of the outcome if someone smashed some 'plain black lycra shorts' into the dopest pair of jeans you've ever owned.
    Carrera, retro, but fits the above requirement.
  • rolf_f
    johnmiosh wrote:

Now that wasn't necessary was it?! :lol:
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Rolf F wrote:
    johnmiosh wrote:

Now that wasn't necessary was it?! :lol:

worn by Roche and the Carrera team in the eighties.

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/ARCHIVE-T ... ctory.html
  • This thead is a wind-up.
  • meanredspider
    This thead is a wind-up.

If it is, it isn't very successful - I'm not sure anybody really gets what the OP is on about. I don't really see roadies as fashion conscious - in fact I'm not aware that there's any fashion there to be conscious of. I sense that the MTB world worries more about this stuff.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rolf_f
    This thead is a wind-up.

If it is, it isn't very successful

It is - I'm still wound up by trying to imagine an ethos of an outcome never mind smashing my shorts into my dopest jeans!

And johnmiosh - stop it. Stop it right now! :lol:
  • FitzM
    This thead is a wind-up.

If it is, it isn't very successful - I'm not sure anybody really gets what the OP is on about. I don't really see roadies as fashion conscious

Not sure I agree. Never bought any of my club kit because I don't care for how it looks
    Klein Quantum, Cervelo Soloist Team, Boardman SLR 9.0S, Boardman SLS 9.8, Kinesis Racelight 4S, DengFu FM028
  • neeb
    "Fashion" is about trends - something is fashionable because it is what most people are wearing, or perhaps because it is what most people will be wearing in a year's time. Road cycling clothing and normal clothing (or even road cycling clothing and other sports clothing) are so fundamentally different for functional reasons that you are rarely going to be able to apply general fashion to cycling clothing... If long-pointed shoes or jeans that come half way down your ars e are the thing, you are never going to be able to apply that to lycra cycling gear in a way that looks anything but farcical.

So if fashion applies in cycling clothing it is internal fashion - there may be trends in cycling clothing that are independent from trends in other types of clothing. If you want to know what these are you just need to look at what is being marketed for this season by the big brands or alternatively what the pro teams are wearing, it's not as if the road cycling world has celebrity trend-setters you can imitate, they all have to wear team kit.

Not giving a monkey's about fashion I'm probably at least a year out of date, but as fas as I can see the current trends are all about technical fabrics with an understated and slightly retro look - think close-fitting long sleeved garments in single colours (as opposed to contrasting coloured panels), often offset with a simple stripe, sometimes asymmetrically, e.g. on one sleeve only. And more overt retro also seems to be "in" at the moment, doubtless inspired by the hipster/steel/fixie/tosser brigade. So think early 1970s team jerseys or designs inspired by that aesthetic.

Or you could just buy stuff that is comfortable, fits well, and doesn't clash horrendously...
  • meanredspider
    FitzM wrote:
    This thead is a wind-up.

If it is, it isn't very successful - I'm not sure anybody really gets what the OP is on about. I don't really see roadies as fashion conscious

Not sure I agree. Never bought any of my club kit because I don't care for how it looks

Understood - but that's not fashion (you're probably not that unusual - most club kit I've seen out and about is pretty grim), that's just (good) taste.

I think in some sports there is fashion. Nike drive it in running/gym clothing - especially female stuff. Skiing and other winter sports certainly have fashion. Road cycling doesn't - I think it's easier to tell the age of someone's bike than their clothing
  • FitzM
    FitzM wrote:
    This thead is a wind-up.

Understood - but that's not fashion (you're probably not that unusual - most club kit I've seen out and about is pretty grim), that's just (good) taste.

Fair comment, I stand corrected, it's about quality of the product and taste.

That said some of the less commercial offerings are wholly practical, well made, beautiful to look at and I WANT them meaning I spend far too much on them :oops:
  • Just to let you all know. I bought two pairs of cycling shorts from Wiggle. And they are both shiny lycra. On the site they look matt.

Does anyone know where I can get some matt cycling shorts FFS?
  • Rapha Classic bib shorts. Deal with it.
  • Shiny like PVC trousers?
  • Nope. Shiny like spandex. Or lycra.

Howies bib look like they might fit the bill...

Anyone tried?
  • Probably best going to a shop and seeing them in person. My rapha classics aren't shiny and my craft winter longs are even less shiny, which is probably due to the winter material.
  • FitzM
    Just to let you all know. I bought two pairs of cycling shorts from Wiggle. And they are both shiny lycra. On the site they look matt.

Does anyone know where I can get some matt cycling shorts FFS?

Yep here, their clothes are really well made too

http://www.velobici.cc/guilder-bib-tigh ... 5089-p.asp
  • neeb
    Having never before considered the reflectivity of my bib shorts I had a look at my (black) assos FI.13 S5s and equipe S7s. I certainly wouldn't call them shiny, although I suppose they have a slight pearlescence when viewed from certain angles. I can honestly say that this has never caused me any anxiety.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    This thread amuses me as what kit you wear should be decided the same way as you choose your bike. Wear what is comfortable and suitable for the conditions you are riding in. Cycling is about the riding not impressing other people or getting kudos of them. I person
    LG wear club kit mostly and the same goes for may rider I know. If you are in a club wear your club kit and stop worrying what other people think. Shorts though should always be black anything else is a bit to see through.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.