Cube agree GTC Race opinions

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi just popped in to my local bike shop and had a look at one of these. With a 10% discount I get it comes to £1260 with full ultegra, carbon frame etc.

However it has basic finishing kit, alloy seatpost ect. Is it worth getting this and upgrading it or go for something like a Rose or a canyon?

Cheers

Comments

• Hi, I have a Cube Agree, Ultegra. I always thought this was a great bike, until the moment I started to hire other brands on holiday trips, Scott, Trek,...

I do not know how recent Cube models evolved, but I can say that my Cube lacks stiffness completely in the carbon frame. If I were you, I would go immediately for something like a Scott CR1, for example with Shimano 105 on.
    That group is fine, and you can focus more on the frame itself, which is imo much more important.

My experiences with hired bikes made me decide to look for another race bike at home. A much more expensive one, that is for sure, as the stiffness of the frame is not cheap.

my 2 cents
  • Weirdly enough i would agree with Midfields on this one.

I bought a Cube Agree GTC Race in 2012, was about £1800 at the time. I've upgraded various bits like wheels, seat posts, bars and added Di2. It's been a very good bike, had no problems with it, done numerous sportives and hasn't let me down.

But in all this time it's never quite made me feel like I'm riding a true superbike or sent shivers up my spine. Don't get me wrong, its a very good bike but its more a work horse than a race horse. If you got one you could upgrade it and make it a bit more spicy, but as Midfields said, the minute you throw a leg over something a bit more pricier/racier (and i did this with a £3k Giant Propel on a test ride) the difference was noticeable and I've ordered another bike.

I won't get rid of the Cube because i do like it a lot and its done me well, but it will be my 2nd bike i can just throw anything at and not worry to much. But when i want that snazzy feeling the Propel comes out.

If its your first decent bike you won't go too wrong with it and will serve you well, but don't expect fireworks.
  • nicube
    nicube Posts: 175
    I bought this very bike in October and love it, I can't see how it's not special and is great value, for the money I don't think the similar offerings from the likes of Giant and Scott can compare, I have tried them and didn't rate them for the money! Yes there are much better bikes out there but you'll need a bigger budget which I couldn't justify :wink:

Perhaps I am slightly biased also as I have a 2013 Cube Peloton as a commuter/winter bike and my MTB is a 2011 Cube Reactiion GTC :lol:
    LOOK 795 Aerolight Dura ace Di2
    LOOK 675 Dura ace mechanical
    LOOK 595 105
    Cinelli Zydeco