Rose Xeon CGF-2000

roubaixtom
roubaixtom Posts: 316
edited January 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi, looking to spend £1500 on a new road bike to replace my roubaix. I thought I was set in the canyon Endurace cf however I'm more confident that the geometry on the rose is better for my proportions.

Are rose good bikes? It's £100 more for the rose with the same wherls and group set as the canyon however it is very light at 7.15kg in size 57. I would be on 55cm

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks

Comments

• crvfr
    crvfr Posts: 23
    I've no first hand experience of Rose bikes but called in at their place in Germany on the way back from a motorbiking holiday in October & thought they looked really good and fair value for money. The showroom is massive (two storey building) and even has enough space for you to actually ride the showroom bikes around on a small marked track!
  • Hi Tom, I've been looking at the Rose GF for a while now. I need a head tube length that just doesn't exist unless "cutom made" and then you're paying 1500 just for the frame. I don't think there is a comfort bike out there that I've not looked at. There is one huge benefit to the alu Rose GF, and a big minus point. First up the plus point, the size 57 you're looking at has an 18.5 head tube, Rose has a unique head tube extension that insures stability by screwing directly into the frame in 2cm increments with a max of 2 x 2cm. That will give you a massive 22.5cm head tube paired with a 55cm top tube and I've spoken to Rose and explained that I'm not a strong rider, 23 kilometer an hour average speed, and they said in a pinch I could add 2cm of conventional spacers on top, of course you'll have to have it delivered with an uncut steering tube for the extra 2cm. The down side is, the rear brake is under the chainstays which is a sh!tty compromise even if it does allow the seat stays to flex more for vertical compliance. Almost makes you want to take the disc brake model, I'm not sure which is the bigger evil. Another BIG plus with Rose is you can change anything on the bike with anything they offer in thier online shop, be it wheels, saddle, stem or otherwise, so you can set the bike up how you want it. By the way, unfortunatly the carbon GF doesn't have the screw in extensions.
    Just to set the record straight, I'm not in anyway connected to Rose, I'm a Canadian living in Munich and Rose just opened a concept store here which has allowed me to check it all out first hand.
    Hope that helps you to decide Tom.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    I bought a ROSE XEON RS-3000 around June 2014. I'd only had a Triban 3 beforehand, so not too many other bikes to compare it to, but I love it. I've ridden about 3,000 miles on it since and still think about how nice it is to ride when I go out on it now. I customized mine quite a bit and the wait was pretty excruciating...about 6 weeks if I remember correctly. The customer service was good considering they're not in the UK and I'd definitely buy from them again. One tip, join the Rose VIP scheme for free before you order. If you're spending around £1,500 you'll have about £30 worth of points to spend in their shop once your bike has been sent to you. http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/content/services/rose-card

For what it's worth, the RS-3000 Large size (Rose call it 61cm but it's more like a 58cm) weighs in at 7.57kg. For a full ultegra setup and Mavix Ksyrium Elites. I think that's a bargain! Road.cc do a good review on it here http://road.cc/content/review/81979-rose-xeon-rs-3000
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,642
    I'm a massive fan of Rose, if you search the threads you'll find plenty of opinions to consider. Test rode the CGF last year and it was tremendous, very comfortable, very responsive. It is NOT the case that you can't test ride the bikes, you just need to contact their UK rep and see if he can bring bikes to you, or you go to him, which I have done on 3 occasions to test ride 4 bikes.
  • Oh ok that sounds good, how do I contact the UK rep? Also the brake caliper being under the bottom bracket does put me off a bit. Would it be an issue?
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Bought a Rose a couple of months back, and very pleased with it!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • soslow
    soslow Posts: 46
    Hi
    I have CGF3100, not had any issues with brake caliper placement but its not ridden in all sorts of weather

Absolutely love it and Rose were great to deal with
  • What size did you go for? What is your height?

Thanks
  • soslow
    im 5 11 with very short legs and long body. Did a bit of working out with Rose and opted for a 55cm with a 120 stem. Fits really well, would say they size slightly small but I really have had no issues
  • I'm 5ft 9 with 82cm Inseam, 55cm would probably be best for me too. Is between one of these or a canyon
  • plodder73
    plodder73 Posts: 326
    I'm waiting delivery of my CGF 3100 this week. Had to do a bit of guesswork sizing it and comparing it to my existing bike. I've gone for 59cm, I'm 6'2" with average legs. If it doesn't fit it will be going back under the 30 day return . I am pretty confident I've got the right size though. Not concerned at all re rear brake as its my summer bike and won't de getting dirty, heaven forbid!
  • Seems you can order a test bike http://www.rosebikes.com/content/services/test-rose and if you buy one theyll refund you 50% of the rent (strangely they refund 100% on the German site http://www.roseversand.de/inhalt/service/rose-testen )
  • soslow
    heres mine new out of the box
  • soslow
    and in France last year
  • Looks good, what's the ride like?
  • plodder73
    Nice bike, was everything set up right out of the box, first time for di2 for me so a bit nervous if it needs tweaking.i nearly went for that colour after seeing some videos online but opted for the black and blue which is new for this year.
  • plodder73
    What saddle and wheels did you go for ?I've opted away from the monolink post for a standard one but have gone girl the standard DT Swiss wheels.
  • soslow
    Rides really well. Very smooth and and quick. Bikes much better than me. All worked fine out of the box. Put seat post in and set bars then charged it up.

I got an adaptor for the seat as felt to narrow and put my Romin from other bike on.

Love Di2 and love the bike, oh wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elites. Bottle cages are Bontrager, think they work well with colour scheme
  • I'm thinking of going for the carbon grey and black. How long did it take to come?
  • soslow
    Hi Mate
    Cant remember but think it was a six week order date, which they stuck to. No shocks or disappointments. Think if you change the spec it delays them slightly.
    I wanted something a bit brighter, but its great to be able to choose something you really like. You wont see many when your out that's for sure
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,642
    UK rep Finlay Paton 07775786709
    Good guy.
  • plodder73
    I've been waiting seven weeks so far but I'm not in a rush, it won't be leaving the house in this weather. When I spoke to them they said they concentrate on MTBs this time of year and don't have vast quantities of road bike frames in stock. You may be lucky but I would count on at least 6 weeks.
    Good thing is even though you order you put your bank card details in they don't take any money until they start the build. They have yet to take money off me, hopefully they will forget!
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I ordered the Rose SL Pro 3000 and just received an email a few days ago that's its on its way and I waited 7 weeks but like previous posts I had changed the spec to my taste. Cannot fault the service and had several answers promptly replied to my questions. Amazing value for money - £1070 got me full Ultegra 6800 11speed and full Ritchey finishing kit and mavic wheels(which I will change with new hand builds perversely enough).

Really looking forward to getting on it as its a replacement for my old bad weather alu bike but with the spec I got its too good to be just for bad weather and so I changed the compact gearing to 11-32 so I can tackle the really steep hills like Hardknott pass without grinding out my old knees.
    Brian B.