Tour 2016 depart

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited December 2014 in Pro race
No prologue again! If there was a more spectacular one it would be with Mont St Michel in the background. This is going to be an old school tour
20141209985_TDF16_photo-CP.jpg

BookwalterTDF11_713-046.jpg

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    A few things appearing on twitter (but I've lost them now :( )

Stage 1 went around the side of the Cherbourg Peninsula to Utah Beach so should be flat. Stage 2 was more in Brittany so could be a bit more lumpy. Think Yorkshire 2014 basically...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    A few things appearing on twitter (but I've lost them now :( )

Stage 1 went around the side of the Cherbourg Peninsula to Utah Beach so should be flat. Stage 2 was more in Brittany so could be a bit more lumpy. Think Yorkshire 2014 basically...

No 1 and 2 are both on the Contenin peninsula and stage 3 starts from the lovely Granville
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not really sure it matters too much where or how it starts. Confirmed list includes Froome, Contador, Quintana, Nibali, Pinot, Valverde, TJ, Rolland, Pinot, Kwia, Cav, Kittel, Kristoff, Sagan, Kelderman, GVA, JD, Panzer, Aru, J Rod and Bouhanni to name but a few. Will this be the most star-studded Tour ever? All because of a short TT.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Not really sure it matters too much where or how it starts. Confirmed list includes Froome, Contador, Quintana, Nibali, Pinot, Valverde, TJ, Rolland, Pinot, Kwia, Cav, Kittel, Kristoff, Sagan, Kelderman, GVA, JD, Panzer, Aru, J Rod and Bouhanni to name but a few. Will this be the most star-studded Tour ever? All because of a short TT.

what are you going on about. This is the 2016 tour - the 2015 tour starts outside France - AGAIN . A purists Tour is needed - too much faffing about lately - trying to make it fit Wiggins - then Quintana - etc

Starts on the Contenin and hopefully into Brittany and then the Vendee . A bit of re-setting .
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Joelsim wrote:

what are you going on about. This is the 2016 tour - the 2015 tour starts outside France - AGAIN . A purists Tour is needed - too much faffing about lately - trying to make it fit Wiggins - then Quintana - etc

Starts on the Contenin and hopefully into Brittany and then the Vendee . A bit of re-setting .
    Wouldnt they be due to go Alps first, Pyrenees last again that year? That would make a bit if Brittany possibe, but Vendee less likely
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I miss prologues.
    2015 has one. Well, a shortish TT at least
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    FJS wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I miss prologues.
    2015 has one. Well, a shortish TT at least
    Ah excellent, there's something quite exciting about bombing it round a city centre at the ragged edge of a bikes handling. My first TDF also happened to be THAT one with Chris Boardman so they hold fond memories.

It also stops all the massive crashes associated with a sprint stage as the opening stage, although it's great that anyone can come out of it in yellow/pink/red it also means there will be some massive disappointments on the first day as riders inevitably crash out.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    This is pretty much a Grand Depart in the UK by proxy. I bet there'll be more British fans than French ones :lol:
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    ddraver wrote:
    Stage 1 went around the side of the Cherbourg Peninsula ... so should be flat. Stage 2 ... could be a bit more lumpy.
    There's a 3 km long climb with 14% max shortly before the finish of stage 2. Route organiser Thierry Gouvenou said the idea behind its inclusion was to allow the main contestors to show themselves early on.
  • Love the idea of a start in Granville. Lovely little town that with a decent walled old part and lovely views of the channel islands.

Sigh... wish I was going to be there :(
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    knedlicky wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Stage 1 went around the side of the Cherbourg Peninsula ... so should be flat. Stage 2 ... could be a bit more lumpy.
    There's a 3 km long climb with 14% max shortly before the finish of stage 2. Route organiser Thierry Gouvenou said the idea behind its inclusion was to allow the main contestors to show themselves early on.

Man, I should plant GTs :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Love the idea of a start in Granville. Lovely little town that with a decent walled old part and lovely views of the channel islands.

Sigh... wish I was going to be there :(

how do you know you won't be?

Ferry goes from Jersey doesn't it
  • wont be in school hols.