Tiagra vs 105s

2»

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Agree that Tiagra is not as good as 105 or the other groupsets in the range above.
    I own Tiagra ,105 and Ultegra equipped bikes.
    Tiagra shifts 'ok' but not as slick as the others.
    As for the brakes... sorry, but Tiagra brakes are simply not good enough for spirited road riding at decent speeds.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Value for money also comes into it. Shimano makes sure it has a groupset for every price point and there are diminishing returns as a lot more is paid for a lot less improvement. A properly set up bike will perform well and do most riders need to spend on the top level groupsets ?

Mountain biking has marked improvements as you go up the component scale due to having suspension, disk brakes and a greater / variable stress put on the bike in general. For road bikes after you get past the cheaper bikes the improvement is not as marked.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^ Very well put.

So much better than the 'I have Tiagra and that's all anyone needs' BS you normally hear on here.

Diminishing returns are subjective of course :wink:
    There are so many worse ways of spending that kind of money than on cycling heaven.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    ^ Very well put.
    So much better than the 'I have Tiagra and that's all anyone needs' BS you normally hear on here.

Well it depends on what use the bike is getting, the point you seem to miss is that for some uses you do not need 105 or Ultegra.

Sora 9 or Tiagra 10 will do a good enough job, I ran Tiagra on the Thorn for a while an it was a better shift action than 105 (5700).
  • Its the fact that the cables come out of the tops of the hoods that stops me getting a bike with tiagra on. I dont like the look and prefer the 105 hoods.