Tiagra vs 105s

bryant4114
bryant4114 Posts: 11
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to get an entry level carbon frame bike and with trying to keep the price as close to south of £1000 of possible, I'm looking at getting a Cube Agree GTC (Giant TCR Composite would have been comparable, if they had it in my size).

So, I was wondering if it's worth paying the extra couple of hundred to get the 105 groupset? Or should I stick with Tiagra and maybe upgrade to something like Ultegra at a later date

My knowledge is quite low of this kinda stuff, so any help would be really appreciated. For the past three years I've had a Boardman Road Comp with SRAM Apex

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Very little difference between Tiagra and 105 to be honest, both do the job perfectly well. I'd bank the 200 quid and go with Tiagra (this coming from a man with Ultegra on his bike!)
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    Planet X Pro Carbon Ultegra 11s for £899 if you can catch one of the bargains.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Tiagra is fine once bedded in and setup properly.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get the groupset you want now. Silly to buy Tiagra with the intention of throwing it away to replace with Ultegra IMO.
    Loads of people say they are going to do that but bet most don't lol.

Personally 105 is worth it to me as I really dislike cables coming out of the hoods and moving about every time you brake.

Tiagra will be fine but it's a bit long in the tooth these days so if you have groupset aspirations get 105 or Ultegra now.
    I would go for 11 speed if at all possible too while you are at it.
  • It's now 11spd or nothing for upgrading so get 105 now so you can upgrade as you want/need to. I'd also be looking at what wheels come on the cheaper bikes as they weigh a tonne. Look for something with Mavic Aksium or Shimano wheels (or Fulcrum 7's but they're a bit rarer now).

I'm sure £1300 would get you what you need without looking to upgrade for a couple of years.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • 105 every time
  • If it's 5800 105, definitely. The braking alone is worth the cost of entry, and the front shifting and hood shape are substantially improved. 5700 Ten Speed is a harder call. Say what you will about the external cabling, but the early versions with hidden cabling just don't shift as well, right up the range. Try finding someone who preferred 7900 to 7800 Dura Ace, for example. I'd rather have 4600 Tiagra with the difference in a wheel upgrade than 5700.

If the Agree still comes with Lugano tyres, I'd keep a few quid back to replace them. Horrible bloody things.
  • Anonymous
    Don't worry too much about the wheels. They are always poor and you are much better off getting a decent set afterwards.
    Change the tyres too while you are at it.

The very best thing to do (if you do not want two sets of wheels) is get some wheels and tyres before you get the bike.
    That way you can sell the Stock wheels/tyres as new and recoup the most money.

Have a look at Zonda's, Racing Quattros and Racing 3's on wiggle etc.
  • Anonymous
    I never had 7800 but I find it hard to imagine preferring it over 7900.
    Did loads of people 'upgrade' back to 7800 after trying 7900 then?
    If they were at the top of the Shimano tree seeking a better groupset then surely they would have.

Onwards and upwards I say.
    There is always Di2 now if people really struggle with hidden cables
  • Is it 11 speed 105? In which case yes it's very much definitely absolutely worth the extra money over 10 speed Tiagra. If it's 10 speed 105 then it isn't.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    As mentioned, the Planet X deal with 11 speed Ultegra is amazing for £899 - if I was in the market for a new bike, that would be a no brainer.

Aside from that, you already have a Boardman - and you like it, I would highly recommend the Team Carbon - I use it as my commuter and absolutely adore it. I still have stock Tiagra on it after 6 months, and was really surprised at how good it is.
  • Basically the options are:

10 speed Tiagras 4600 for 890
    10 speed 105s 5700 for 1120
    11 speed Ultegras 6800 for 1200 (w/ Mavic Aksion tyres)

The reason I'm leaning towards the Cube is because I'm trying to get it on one of the cycle schemes - which means I have to go through CycleSurgery or Evans.

Basically my old bike was stolen and without knowing whether the insurance will come through/how much it will pay out, my funds are a bit limited
  • I'm on 10 speed and I'm happy with it - but - I wouldn't buy a 10 speed bike now, as the technology is old. Hold out for either 105 or Ultegra 11 speed.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    6800. It's a generation ahead and much, much better than the other two. If the bike has 6800 brakes as part of the groupset, so much the better.
  • To be honest having a think about it I might just bite the bullet, avoid the cyclescheme and go for the Planet X bike at 899, seems like a really good deal.

Thanks for the advice too about getting an 11 speed bike rather than 10
  • Is the 20% discount still available that was mentioned on here a while back? If so I would jump on that.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    If they were at the top of the Shimano tree seeking a better groupset then surely they would have.

Anecdotally at least, a good deal of people didn't bother upgrading to 7900. Shifting was heavier, downshifts limited to 2 per sweep rather than 3, fairly big price hike. There were some improvements, too, the 7900 crank and brakes being highlights. That didn't really apply down the range. 5700 was prettier and a little lighter than 5600, but not significantly better in function. Cabling the shifters of the 7900/6700/5700 generation was a pain in the bum, too. I'd argue than Shimano didn't really get hidden cabling 100% right until the current gen.

The fact it's only £80 extra for the op to go 6800 vs. 5700 should render the question moot, anyway.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Is the 20% discount still available that was mentioned on here a while back? If so I would jump on that.

Seems from another thread that the 20% discount code is still working (UKSTAFFJVI20)

Worth a try and great value on the PX if you get it.
  • Had a try and I don't think you can add it on top of the daily deal price.

Still £900 seems very good
  • I have Tiagra on of my bikes. I also have a near complete Ultegra group in the shed minus the shifters. I was intending to swap it over once it started to miss changes or show signs of wear.

2000 miles later it still changes every time perfectly and im struggling to find a reason to buy the shifters and swap it all over.

Its a great groupset and once set up properly it will work as good as anything above it in the pecking order
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • How about this then? I have one on order....

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hoy ... e-ec059960
    British Cycling SkyRide leader

Roadie - 'Arnie' HOY Sa Calobra .004 Ultegra 11 Speed
    Winter Road Bike - 'Edoardo' Bianchi Via Nirone 7 c2c - Sora 8 Speed
    Commuter - 'Edoardo the 2nd' Bianchi Camaleonte Cross
  • I've ridden the one below it in spec the 105 bike and it was nice but not a good fit for me and the one above in size was too big. I would have had the £800 one but I would have prefered one of the planet x carbon bikes for over a grand.
  • Anonymous
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I have Tiagra on of my bikes. I also have a near complete Ultegra group in the shed minus the shifters. I was intending to swap it over once it started to miss changes or show signs of wear.

2000 miles later it still changes every time perfectly and im struggling to find a reason to buy the shifters and swap it all over.

Its a great groupset and once set up properly it will work as good as anything above it in the pecking order

Really, So the 8 group sets above it are a complete waste of money then?

Maybe Shimano should close down their R&D department and just concentrate on Tiagra production.
    What if there is a new Tiagra on the way? (it is next in line for a revamp) Would that be better? Guessing not.

What about Sora, is that any worse than Tiagra if all 8 above it are no better? :roll:

Personally I cannot wait for Tiagra Di2. Seeing the electric cables sprouting out the side of the hoods will be priceless.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Carbonator wrote:

I replaced 7800 with 7900 and it's not as good but I've stuck with the 7900 purely for the tidy appearance. I was starting to think that Shimano would never better 7800 but the latest gen of Ultegra and Dura-ace shift as smooth and as light as 7800.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I've one bike with full 105 5700 and one with full Ultegra 6800.

6800 brakes are amazing with so much more feel, and even though I've Swisstop Green pads on the 105 brakes they don't come close.

6800 front shifting is effortless and quick compared to 5700, although the 6800 FD is a bit more tricky to set up.

6800 hoods are smaller and just nicer to hold.

6800 rear shifting is quick and much quieter than 5700, sometimes too quiet as I keep thinking it hasn't changed.

If you can afford to get the 6800 equipped bike you won't regret it as it's lovely, enjoy your new bike whichever you choose.
  • I have used Tiagra on a few bikes and never had any issues unless you want 11spd, Tiagra is fine

At the end of the day it is the older 105 set up reworked.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I have used Tiagra on a few bikes and never had any issues unless you want 11spd, Tiagra is fine

At the end of the day it is the older 105 set up reworked.

Of course Tiagra is fine. I have 4600 on one bike, and it works. I also have 6800 on another bike and it is much, much better. And it's not about having an extra gear; that's completely irrelevant in almost all situations. The difference is in the quicker shift, the huge braking improvement, the spider that allows limitless combinations of chainrings, the refined lever shape, the lower mass, the vastly better front derailleur design and countless other improvements. Oh, and the bling. :mrgreen:
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,851
    Carbonator wrote:
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    I have Tiagra on of my bikes. I also have a near complete Ultegra group in the shed minus the shifters. I was intending to swap it over once it started to miss changes or show signs of wear.

That's not what he said, sheees!!

I have Tiagra on a winter audax Ribble and rode it regularly over a few years. It performed flawlessly only having a problem after I came off and damaged the derailleur. It had to be replaced and after setup worked flawlessly.

Since then I have boght bikes with 105 and Ultegra. They too have worked flawlessly.

Are they any better than Tiagra?

Not from the functionaility point of view. I sweep the levers and the chain moves up and down the cassette/chain rings.

Weight - they are probably lighter but at 78-84kg would I notice the difference.

Smoother - the Ultegra is smoother than both 105 and Tiagra.

Looks - yes the hidden cables are a nicer setup.

Some people just love putting words into other peoples' mouths!!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    5700, 6700, 7900 do not shift as well as 5800, 6800 and 9000 as mentioned. tiagra and sora shift very well due to the cable routing.

105 is better in every way apart from the price for the 11 speed 5800. If you have the money go for it. It also looks nicer.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Anonymous
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    Tjgoodhew wrote:

That's not what he said, sheees!!

I have Tiagra on a winter audax Ribble and rode it regularly over a few years. It performed flawlessly only having a problem after I came off and damaged the derailleur. It had to be replaced and after setup worked flawlessly.

Since then I have boght bikes with 105 and Ultegra. They too have worked flawlessly.

Are they any better than Tiagra?

Not from the functionaility point of view. I sweep the levers and the chain moves up and down the cassette/chain rings.

Weight - they are probably lighter but at 78-84kg would I notice the difference.

Smoother - the Ultegra is smoother than both 105 and Tiagra.

Looks - yes the hidden cables are a nicer setup.

Some people just love putting words into other peoples' mouths!!

Thats exactly what he said!
    Unless you think people only buy the decent Shimano groupsets for the weight saving and looks/kudos.

You yourself said Ultegra is smoother, so therefor Tiagra does not work as well.
    You 'sweep' the lever across on Tourney, Claris and Sora, and the chain moves up and down, so why not just have them if you are basing it only on functionality, and your definition of functionality is that the gears change :shock:

Well, everyone can read the thread and make their own minds up as to who said what etc. and whether higher group sets work any better.
    Its great for people with lower groupsets to smugly think they are just as good as higher ones, but the reality is that they are not.