Has a cutout worked well for your perineum area ?

DCI Gene Hunt
DCI Gene Hunt Posts: 138
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
r315206505-13_g1.jpg

The saddle shown above is one which I am considering buying , its a selle flite flow with ti rails and weighs 210g. I know all too well that saddles are an intensely personal thing and this definitely relates to me. Im definitely someone who falls into the circa 145mm width fits best , I simply cannot abide saddles that have a rise at the back , saddles with a definite curvature like a charge scoop or spoon absolutely crucify me in the perineal region due to rubbing and I think with saddles its the flatter the better.

I have several pairs of Assos bibs that I love and use with udderly smooth chamois cream . Ive never owned a saddle with a cutout and this would be a first for me. What Id like to read is opinions from those who ride with saddles with cutouts and how they rate them compared to saddles without. Id never consider a saddle like a smp and worst saddle I ever owned was a charge spoon which felt like rubbing sandpaper over the gentlemen veg area despite chamois cream , assos shorts and correct bike set up. I think I will pull the trigger for the new saddle and thanks in advance for all thoughts posted.

Comments

• norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    You sound very similar to me, I need a 143+ and a flat shape. I have used Prologo Kappa Evo, both the PAS version with cutout and the normal version without and both were really comfortable. I now ride a Fizik Antares, very similar shape to the Prologo and 143mm wide with no cutout. I spent close to 6hrs on it yesterday with zero issues.

For me all that matters is the width and shape, as long as those are right it doesn't matter if there's a cutout or not. It doesn't mean you won't benefit from one though, but I wouldn't rule out saddles without a cutout.
  • For me worst saddle experiences were riding uphill as I spin the pedals at around 95 rpm. Id be concentrating on keeping my heartrate ticking over without going into the red whilst all the time experiencing furious rubbing of the nuts from the saddle central area. The reason I cannot abide saddles that flick up at the back is because my ar$e never feels truly planted and I never feel like im perfectly balanced whilst pedalling.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The flite flow is one of my favourite saddles, however I am comfortable on the SLR XP (not the flow version). I have managed 180+ miles rides on the Flite at did 230 odd mile ride on the SLR XP. It you like flat saddles it will probably work very well.

The postion you have on your bike is meant to influence whether you benefit from a cut out. May be my position is not low enough for it to make a big difference to me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 21058_01_d.jpg

An interesting observation is that the saddle above is also part of the flite range but unlike the billiard table flat flow saddle, this saddle has the type of profile that causes me real problems. With that wavy shape and rear rise, I level the saddle with the small wooden board and spirit level and sit at the widest part at the back and find myself literally sliding off the front,lower the nose by 1 deg and its even worse, I try to sit forward a bit and my nuts get crushed in the dip in the middle, I lift the saddle nose by 1 degree or so and its perineum hell when im spinning going up hills at fast cadence :shock: That saddle profile is precisely what doesn't work for me, the ruler flat flow with cutout hopefully may be what makes me forget im sitting on a saddle during long rides.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I have tried several Prologo saddles and settled on the Kappa EVO PAS and now have the same saddle on both my bikes.

I had the Nago Gel PAS but found it far too hard and uncomfortable and got rid of it within a week, I then changed to the Scratch but found it too spongy and i'd suffer from numb nuts after about 90minutes in the saddle. Then i tried the Zero (both PAS and non PAS) and while the PAS version was actually quite comfortable for shorter spins, anything over 2hrs and it was uncomfortable. I reckon I could have got used to it as i only tried it for 3 or 4 weeks (10 spins in total approx) when i changed to the Kappa EVO and got on good with it and no discomfort. I spotted a used PAS version on ebay and won it for small money and so stuck it on my good bike and it was noticeably more comfortable than the non cut out version. I loved it so much that i sold the regular version that i had on my winter bike and replaced with the PAS version and I've had them on both my bikes now for over 18 months and have no intention of changing them for anything else. I done Mizen to Malin in Ireland on it on a Felt F5 in September past (665kms over 5 days) and hadn't so much as one seconds discomfort with it.
  • I've tried saddles with cutouts (Spesh Romin, Selle Italia SLR) and found saddles without the cutout more comfortable. The cut out seemed to concentrate pressure on the sides of the cutout whereas a saddle without spreads it across the width. I've gone away from cutouts and am on a Prologo Scratch pro which I have found excellent. Also liked the Bontrager Serano but it has very little padding!
  • It must be sheer exhilaration when you are resolute in your thoughts that the search for your saddle perfection is at an end.

MugenSi wrote:
    I have tried several Prologo saddles and settled on the Kappa EVO PAS and now have the same saddle on both my bikes.

I had the Nago Gel PAS but found it far too hard and uncomfortable and got rid of it within a week, I then changed to the Scratch but found it too spongy and i'd suffer from numb nuts after about 90minutes in the saddle. Then i tried the Zero (both PAS and non PAS) and while the PAS version was actually quite comfortable for shorter spins, anything over 2hrs and it was uncomfortable. I reckon I could have got used to it as i only tried it for 3 or 4 weeks (10 spins in total approx) when i changed to the Kappa EVO and got on good with it and no discomfort. I spotted a used PAS version on ebay and won it for small money and so stuck it on my good bike and it was noticeably more comfortable than the non cut out version. I loved it so much that i sold the regular version that i had on my winter bike and replaced with the PAS version and I've had them on both my bikes now for over 18 months and have no intention of changing them for anything else. I done Mizen to Malin in Ireland on it on a Felt F5 in September past (665kms over 5 days) and hadn't so much as one seconds discomfort with it.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    It must be sheer exhilaration when you are resolute in your thoughts that the search for your saddle perfection is at an end.

The Sella Italia flite cut out works very well for me but the width didn't, I went for the narrower SLR..... which means I have the Flite for sale, hardly used and identical to the one you posted a pic of, pm if you are interested.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've got one with a cutout, also Selle Italia, it's a Gel jobbie

And the edges of the cut out are what's causing the bl00dy perineum discomfort, I think!!!!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ive pmed you mamba
  • SecretSam wrote:

And the edges of the cut out are what's causing the bl00dy perineum discomfort, I think!!!!

i can believe that as the gel flites aint great
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I find that cut outs do make a difference for me - less numbness, more comfortable over distance. For quick blasts doesn't make much difference. I think the angle of the saddle & especially the nose is important too. I tend to use Selle SMP saddles - low nose & cut out - and this works better than any other saddle I've tried. Also like WTB saddles for a more traditional shape. Haven't tried the one you mention.

Of course we are all different though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    SecretSam wrote:

i can believe that as the gel flites aint great

Yeah, when the shop sold it to me they didn't mention the one month trial period - IIRC if you buy a Selle Italia and hate it, you can bring it back after a month and get a refund :evil:

Am considering a Spesh Romin or similar next. Of course, it may be that a) I'm a pansy and need to MTFU in that area and b) it's not quite set up right (had a bike fit but angle may be wrong).

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I've found saddles with cut out way better for perineum issues than similar without but they are not nearly as good as SQLab 611.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I've used that many saddles - turbo's, flite titanium 90's model, brooks b17, various prologo's,antares- that I didn't think I'd ever find a really comfortable saddle. But after trying a spesh toupe (155mm) , it look's as though I have.

They're quite flat and have a bit of flex in the seat, I have mine tilted nose down (as passout mentioned) which allows for the hammock effect. Very pleased !

Saying that I have just bought, but haven't used an sqlab 611. They were on special offer and thought I'd give it a go...just in case!
  • mamba80 i sent you a pm including email address to send pics to, are you still selling the saddle ?
  • mamba80
    Yes, emailed via the addr you sent me this morning :)
  • mamba80
    mamba80 i sent you a pm including email address to send pics to, are you still selling the saddle ?

you haven't replied so its been sold :)
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Didn't have a problem with a regular saddle but there is something different about a cutout
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Have tried all sorts, cut out and non cut out. Have settled on a Bontrager Paradigm xxxl very comfy
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 i sent you a pm including email address to send pics to, are you still selling the saddle ?

I know fine well you saw my reply :roll:

On those grounds the buyer is welcome to it.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You could try a L3 saddle, The SLR L3 saddle is actually the most comfotable saddle I have ever ridden even though there is almost no saddle to it. DCI Gene Hunt - the 1990 flite saddle is also the most painful saddle I have ever ridden.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

I know fine well you saw my reply :roll:

On those grounds the buyer is welcome to it.

Dude, I sent you 2 sets of pics via email and an additional email on the addr you gave, in case your email client blocked the pics, also, I pm ed you advising I d had no response and for you to check your email and if correct one given? your last reponse to me was "I ll check my gmail now" you never came back to me, if you genuinely wanted this saddle you would have replied.

If you had a change of mind, that's fine too, we agreed no price or had any verbal agreement on a price, you also didn't reply to my PM advising you that I wanted £40 + PP, some else wanted it, and didn't mess me around.

I don't know why your coming all over Mr Indignant ?
  • I sent a pm offering you £40 posted and it showed in the pm outbox, when I checked it shortly after the outbox showed it had been read and I am at a loss as to why you are insistent upon maintaining this lie :roll: , you have sold it despite me contacting you , if you got a good deal then I hope you are happy, rest assured you and I will certainly not be discussing any future transactions or dealings here on bikeradar.
  • mamba80
    I sent a pm offering you £40 posted and it showed in the pm outbox, when I checked it shortly after the outbox showed it had been read and I am at a loss as to why you insistent upon maintaining this lie :roll: , you have sold it despite me contacting you , if you got a good deal then I hope you are happy, rest assured you and I will certainly not be discussing any future transactions or dealings here on bikeradar.

I don't like being called a lair and I don't give a monkeys what your outbox says or not, I know I have never received a PM from you or a response from the emails I sent you, these are via a different media!
    has it occurred to you that the BR server may not have forwarded to me? or another innocent explanation?
    Keep your insults to yourself, there are forum rules about name calling.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I sent a pm offering you £40 posted and it showed in the pm outbox, when I checked it shortly after the outbox showed it had been read and I am at a loss as to why you are insistent upon maintaining this lie :roll: , you have sold it despite me contacting you , if you got a good deal then I hope you are happy, rest assured you and I will certainly not be discussing any future transactions or dealings here on bikeradar.

If the message is in your OUTBOX it DID NOT SEND!

SENT messages will be in SENT messages. Outbox is for messages that are unable, yet to send, or incompleted.

Bet you feel a bit silly now.