Headphones for use on the turbo trainer

ai_1
ai_1 Posts: 3,060
edited December 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm currently doing some training on the turbo trainer and probably will be until March at least. I tend to watch films to combat the dullness. I don't like to turn the TV volume way up to hear clearly over the turbo so I wear headphones but my current set of wired over-ear headphones are more suitable for sitting still. On the turbo they move about, the wire is irritating and they're a little warm on my head although that's not a big deal. So, I'd like to get myself something more suitable. Ideally wireless, in-ear headphones with reasonable sound quality and not likely to suffer from proximity to sweat!
I'm not really familiar with current wireless audio options. What do you use or what would you suggest?
My TV doesn't have bluetooth but I presume I could get a relatively cheap USB bluetooth transmitter or just use my laptop as a player for movies from Netflix or the like.

Any suggestions gratefully received

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    i bought some over ear sony wireless in the sales.
    They were about £15 form sainsburys a couple of years ago

Matt
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Shouldn't you be staring at your stem/power meter/computer*, rather than watching a film?

*as applicable depending on your/your team's budget.
  • ai_1
    Me-109 wrote:
    Shouldn't you be staring at your stem/power meter/computer*, rather than watching a film?

*as applicable depending on your/your team's budget.
    I presume you're kidding but what the hell, I'll answer anyway! :wink:
    I find the turbo too boring for long sessions so tend to keep them short and throw in some high intensity intervals. I'll be hitting pause while doing intervals but for warm up and cool down or for the occasional moderate effort session it's good to have something to watch. I'm also training for some duathlons and triathlons next year so plan to do some "BRick" sessions with an hour or so on the bike followed immediately by a run. In winter on very cold and/or wet days I find this messy with a proper bike ride as there's too much gear to take off. Alternatively, I can do a turbo session in just my tri shorts and then throw on a T shirt and head out the door for a run - much more practical!
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I'm not sure you'll find wireless in ear headphones, although could be wrong. If they are a thing you'll certainly loose one of the buds before too long!

I have a cheap pair of Sony over ear things for the turbo, which are spot on. Never move about and came with a longer cable than normal meaning they aren't always pulling on the laptop. Sound is fine too, especially for watching TV/films.
  • ai_1
    Dinyull wrote:
    I'm not sure you'll find wireless in ear headphones, although could be wrong. If they are a thing you'll certainly loose one of the buds before too long!

I have a cheap pair of Sony over ear things for the turbo, which are spot on. Never move about and came with a longer cable than normal meaning they aren't always pulling on the laptop. Sound is fine too, especially for watching TV/films.
    I'm assuming in-ear wireless will have cables between the two buds and also the receiver if it's separate. It's the cable from me to the TV/Laptop that I want to eliminate.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use these for music on the rollers sometimes:
    http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/h2o-audio-su ... tAodeUEAig

They are 100% waterproof, sound great (good bass) and do not move around in your ear like a lot of banded ones do.
    As the cable is managed it might be possible to sort out a non wireless solution.

Wireless sounds like it will be a faff to me.
  • I use the previous version of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-SE215-In- ... B004U9NH3E

Great fit with the variety of buds and don't really hear the turbo at all. Lead might not be long enough but can buy an extender off of Ebay for buttons. Great for planes, trains also......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Interested to know what comes up. Have been looking at Yurbuds for something that won't fall out but that's when wired.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Aftershokz bluetooth ones work for me
  • ai_1
    izza wrote:
    Aftershokz bluetooth ones work for me
    These are designed to allow in ambient noise if I'm nit mistaken? I'd rather ignore the sound of the turbo given the choice. Then again I could consider using these for running too...
  • Get some cheap £10 waterproof ones, spend £3 on a long headphone extension cable.

And then invest in some Sufferfest vids and a trainerroad subscription and you’ll never be bored on the trainer again.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • ai_1
    I did say I was looking for a wireless option!
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I bought a little bluetooth transmitter and receiver from Amazon. Then just plug the normal in ear ones I use for running. Works really well, and having a separate transmitter means you can plug it into the stereo or tv, dependent on what you fancy doing.
  • ai_1
    Stueys wrote:
    I bought a little bluetooth transmitter and receiver from Amazon. Then just plug the normal in ear ones I use for running. Works really well, and having a separate transmitter means you can plug it into the stereo or tv, dependent on what you fancy doing.
    That's not a bad idea! I hadn't seen something like that but it would certainly do the job.
    Is the receiver fairly compact and wearable?
    Got a link by any chance?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    That's not a bad idea! I hadn't seen something like that but it would certainly do the job.
    Is the receiver fairly compact and wearable?
    Got a link by any chance?

One half
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSynic-Bluetoot ... ransmitter

Couldn't find receiver but it's tiny, AAa battery sized.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Good old reliable Sennheisers for me.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I had some Sony Bluetooth that had a little FM receiver come controller very handy, did the job perfectly until I bought a Bluetooth Cambridge audio speaker now I just let it rip :twisted:

I've also moved out of the conservatory and into the man cave
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.