It Was Alright in the 1970s

2»

Comments

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    This thread is prompting vivid, happy memories. My parents had a vauxhall viva, which always broke down when we were going on holiday. I remember:

Fights in the park with the other school who were supposed to be hard.
    Mate working in the offy (under 18?!) passing contraband under the back fence.
    Some drama thing where a female PE teacher did an "artistic" shadow dance wearing a leotard.
    History teacher who was super nice, who we messed about no end before getting the best set of O level grades in the school.
    The girl in the O level history class who left to have her baby and came back to pass the exam.
    Winning the borough cross-country championships, the grammar school couldn't find the trophy because they'd had it so long.
    Picture in the local rag of the winning cross-country team, beads and long hair. It seems like only days later that we had short hair and were going to see punk bands.
    Getting hammered at the Jubilee.
    Buying the first Jam album on the day it came out. Weller only 2 years older but super cool.
    First clubruns, in all weathers, wearing jeans and woolworths plimsoles (the ones that were cheaper than green flash).
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    I was surprised at how many of the TV clips were clearly satirising discrimination, yet the pundits they got on were outraged regardless of what they were watching. I'm sure that people will watch Little Britain in 30 years and be outraged - and not just because it's unfunny.
  • jawooga wrote:
    I was surprised at how many of the TV clips were clearly satirising discrimination, yet the pundits they got on were outraged regardless of what they were watching. I'm sure that people will watch Little Britain in 30 years and be outraged - and not just because it's unfunny.
    People were outraged at little Britain when it was first shown. It achieved its goal much like spitting image did.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    Little Britain was satire?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    florerider wrote:
    No.
    It was just sh!t pretending to be satire.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    RDW wrote:
    Smoking, of course, is already unacceptable.

Oh, that old chestnut.

It's a funny thing, we live in a society where it's still socially acceptable to sit down next to someone at a bus stop and spark up; yet if you farted, they'd be offended and would probably move away or say something.

Yet typically a fart (even a particularly noxious one) won't give you cancer...

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    RDW wrote:
    Smoking, of course, is already unacceptable.

Oh, that old chestnut.

It's a funny thing, we live in a society where it's still socially acceptable to sit down next to someone at a bus stop and spark up; yet if you farted, they'd be offended and would probably move away or say something.

Yet typically a fart (even a particularly noxious one) won't give you cancer...
    Agree, however, I've never been brought to the point of almost chucking up by cigarette/cigar/pipe smoke.

Whatever the decade. (just to bring the thread back on topic) :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    PBlakeney wrote:
    florerider wrote:
    No.
    It was just sh!t pretending to be satire.

Missed the pretending to be satire bit.

Wonder how time will see its attitude to disability?
  • I couldn't believe Wogan perving over the 16 year old girl in the bikini on the Summertime Special segment. "You're a big girl for 16" gushes the Irish Combover Merchant whilst staring at her chest! Blatant!!
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I couldn't believe Wogan perving over the 16 year old girl in the bikini on the Summertime Special segment. "You're a big girl for 16" gushes the Irish Combover Merchant whilst staring at her chest! Blatant!!

He will probably be in court soon for visually assaulting her.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Surely Pan's People's finest hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcXHxLg6MAU
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • pblakeney
    I seem to recall better routines but my memory may be rose tinted.

I always thought the ultimate job was to be a TOTP cameraman. Very few examples of why in that video.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    PBlakeney wrote:

I always thought the ultimate job was to be a TOTP cameraman. Very few examples of why in that video.

You're not wrong
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:

You're not wrong
    Thanks for the memories. But I was thinking more along the lines of this at @ 30-45 seconds in -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-5IpNAVJIU
    Funny thing is that although you can look at it as sexist now, it was an age of innocence compared to a click on the mouse now.
    Veronese68 wrote: