Which gear cables?

timothyw
timothyw Posts: 2,482
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All
I'm in the process of building up my new winter commuter/ride, its mainly a transplant of my old one onto a new Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 frameset.

I've realised that I need a new bit of gear cable outer for the rear shifter due to the different layout, and I'm thinking I should perhaps replace the cables in the process, as the shifting on the old ones wasn't exactly smooth due to one too many wet rides.

Recommend away.... Brake cables optional - I'm using Spyre disc brakes and can reuse the old cables without issue (although they are a bit dirty!)

Black or preferably white outers please.

Cheers

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I bought some a Shimano Dura-Ace PTFE Gear Cable Set earlier this year. It has 2 inners and outers plus the end caps for the inners and outers. I have had no problems with the parts after installing them.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    wongataa wrote:
    I bought some a Shimano Dura-Ace PTFE Gear Cable Set earlier this year. It has 2 inners and outers plus the end caps for the inners and outers. I have had no problems with the parts after installing them.

These are what I use too. Unless it's for Campag of course :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used those on last cable change too and really pleased with them.

Someone will be along to say a couple of coat hangers will be just as good in a moment though.
  • timothyw
    I see that Koo-Bikes have their cheap Jagwire kits back on for £6.50:

http://www.koo-bikes.com/jagwire-gear-a ... e-kit.html

Did anyone get one and want to comment on the quality of said kit?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    rafletcher wrote:
    wongataa wrote:

Great cables. Noticeable improvement over standard Shimano
    Matt
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Hi All
    I'm in the process of building up my new winter commuter/ride, its mainly a transplant of my old one onto a new Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 frameset.

I've realised that I need a new bit of gear cable outer for the rear shifter due to the different layout, and I'm thinking I should perhaps replace the cables in the process, as the shifting on the old ones wasn't exactly smooth due to one too many wet rides.

Recommend away.... Brake cables optional - I'm using Spyre disc brakes and can reuse the old cables without issue (although they are a bit dirty!)

Black or preferably white outers please.

Cheers

Is it for Shimano, Campag or SRAM.
  • timothyw
    Sorry, meant to mention that - Shimano 105 5700 throughout, except for the aformentioned cable disc brakes
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    rafletcher wrote:

just sent my bike back to the LBS who changed the cables as an annual overhaul, but put SRAM cables back on a Campag bike - simply not acceptable !
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • TimothyW wrote:
    Sorry, meant to mention that - Shimano 105 5700 throughout, except for the aformentioned cable disc brakes

Everything here inners and outers in loads of colours and ferrules etc - much more versatile and ustomisable than kits

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/starcyclespare ... 7675.l2563

I've used them loads of time quick delivery.