cant fit bar end caps

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited November 2014 in The workshop
Have some new Fizik bar tape on my Mango fixie and can't for the life of me get the end caps on.

Never had this problem before, think last two sets of tape were evans own brand.

Have tried hammer, pliers and grease. Nowhere near getting either in the slot.

Am I being a plonker or have i got funny shaped handlebars?
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• Fizik end caps are indeed a tight fit. They will go if you tap them in with a rubber mallet, applying reasonable force, or use end caps lying around from some other tape.

Brilliant tape, let down a bit by this.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    As above, they do take some work.

Depending on how much tape you are folding into the bar, you may need to cut some away.

I then use a combination of mallet on the barend and the tip of a small flat blade screwdriver to push the excess tape in as I go.
  • No way I can fold any tape back in.

Some pics in here https://plus.google.com/photos/10214313 ... KDNqa-lmwE
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Discovered problem. Mango have 22.2mm handlebars, standard is 25.4mm. Square pegs & round holes. Will improvise.
    Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0
  • Yep, that would be a problem.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Standard flat bar is 22.2mm.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    you could order some cheap as chips flat bar grips off ebay for £2 and use the bar end plugs that come with those, should be the right dimensions. I just got some for my son's bike with anodised metal lockrings at each end, they came with bar end plugs.