Boardman size small/medium anyone own one?

bruce225
bruce225 Posts: 129
edited November 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Usual thing with Halfords struggling to try and find a store with the correct size Boardman range.

Basically only been able to sit on 18 frames but with only small amount of seat post rise,t hough it felt fine looking at the geometry chart I think a 16 would suit me better, due to the fact if I'm reading it right the Top tube length seems quite long so not to be cramped but would allow me a higher saddle position.

I'm 5.7 inside leg 29 I know people will say you need to try them for size but's it's just not that easy.

Anyone who rides a small/medium frames could you let me know what measurments you are and how your getting on.

Cheers.

Comments

• matzou
    matzou Posts: 19
    I'am just under 5'7 for 0.5 inch with ~30" inside leg and was riding a small Boardman team 650b HT before it got stolen.
    For the "cockpit" I changed the stem/handlebar for some 720mm with 15mm rise and a 40mm stem.

The 18" frame was too big for me.
    Commencal meta ht race 650b :) Broaappp :)
  • i,m similar in size to you op, and i ride a "16 frame with "26 wheels, does me perfectly.
  • bruce225
    Thanks for the replys.

Just when your in the shop you feel like there pushing the size in stock.

My mate from work is also getting one and suprise suprise they suggested 18 for us both yet he couldn't touch the floor with the saddle more or less on the top tube...
  • 6 foot 34 inside leg on a large 26 inch wheel. Medium too small for me.
  • bruce225
    Very kind staff at Halfords Kirkstall Leeds have orderd one in for me and my mate to try.

So hopefully we can get sorted.

Cheers.
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    BRUCE225 wrote:
    Very kind staff at Halfords Kirkstall Leeds have orderd one in for me and my mate to try.

So hopefully we can get sorted.

Cheers.

Good for you. I'd wished I had that staff in my local Halfords....bunch of monkeys - absolutely useless re: bikes (very similar to B&Q's "weekend teenager staff"...)
  • matzou
    matzou Posts: 19
    Well they kind of force you to take whatever they have in store, but I had a mixed feeling about the staff.

Got the 18" bike swapped for a brand new 16" after I "tryed" it for 2 days in glentress(the paint/frame was allready starting to be damaged with the chain slap...)

So that was pretty amazingof them, but then with the new bike they tryed to fit the right pedal on the left and vice & versa so they almost destroyed the crankset ._.

From the best to the worst but overall pretty happy with the people I dealt with.
    Commencal meta ht race 650b :) Broaappp :)
  • bruce225
    Well sat on the small 16" and all felt o.k, no 18" in stock to compare with.

But the seat post was at the maximum mark while sat in the store, but the reach more or less felt the same as what i remember of testing a 18", looking at the geometry the reach is only 20mm difference between sizes.

Now I'm wondering if to get the 18" medium allowing me seat post adjustment either way or just stick with the 16" and if needed at a later date get a longer seat post, just always seem to on previous bikes rise my seat post after a few rides of getting used to a new bike.

Doesn't help that I've not sat on a mountain bike for years after swapping for a road bike 8/9 yrs ago.not sure if I'm trying to replicate my road riding position onto a mountain bike currently ride a medium Boardman Team Carbon.All feels alien!!!
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    BRUCE225 wrote:
    Well sat on the small 16" and all felt o.k, no 18" in stock to compare with.

But the seat post was at the maximum mark while sat in the store, but the reach more or less felt the same as what i remember of testing a 18", looking at the geometry the reach is only 20mm difference between sizes.

Now I'm wondering if to get the 18" medium allowing me seat post adjustment either way or just stick with the 16" and if needed at a later date get a longer seat post, just always seem to on previous bikes rise my seat post after a few rides of getting used to a new bike.

Doesn't help that I've not sat on a mountain bike for years after swapping for a road bike 8/9 yrs ago.not sure if I'm trying to replicate my road riding position onto a mountain bike currently ride a medium Boardman Team Carbon.All feels alien!!!

How tall are you Bruce ??
  • bruce225
    I'm 5.7 inside leg 29..

It fit my mate fine he's 5.8 but shorter legs.

Like I say if i'd come from another MTB to this think I would have a better judgment but beacuse I've not ridden one for years I'm just undecided.

Seen on other forums about peopl 5.10"-11" riding small.

Keep remembering people say you can make a small bike bigger but one too big will always be too big.
  • bruce225
    OK just done the measuring no shoes and book upto groin I have 31 inch inside legs.....

My thinking is are my legs long for someone 5.7" is that why I'm having seat post to max.

Well chuffed with my leg lenth though. :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So with long legs you have a shorter torso and longer arms.

The nominal frame size is the poorly chosen as it is frame length (effective top tube length) that matters most, it sounds like you'd be better off on an 18" to match your longer reach. I'm 5'9" and ride a 16" as I have 29" inside leg and corresponding shorter arms.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.