Backpack/Rucksack advice

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited November 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi I am after a good rucksack that isn't too big and bulky but can fit my 14.5 inch ultra book inside, as well as a change of some folder up clothes and pair of shoes/trainers. Also waterproof if possible. Work willing to pay up too around £50-60.

Any ideas?

thanks

Comments

• ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Timbuck2 do some excellent messenger bags. They also do rucksack but I've only used the messenger bags.if the rucksack are as good, you'll be onto a winner
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ortlieb do a rucksack version of their dry bags if you want something fully waterproof.
    You might want to consider something that has a good ventilation system if you have a long commute though.
  • Commuting Chat is probably a better place to ask

I use the Rapha one. It's nice but about twice your budget and I'm not sure it's worth that either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    The Osprey Escapist is a very good rucksack, certainly better than the Deuter I was using previously. Lots of little compartments, a separate area for wet clothing. The catch that holds a helmet to the bag is quite clever too, easier to use than an external net. A very well made bag.
  • Have been using one of these for the past 18 months:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tim ... k-ec048796

Comfortable on the bike and doesn't feel bulky even though it can carry a huge amount if needed. It claims to be water resistant rather than waterproof, but I've never had any leaks even in downpours.
  • amack
    amack Posts: 70
    Osprey Escapist is a really great pack but a bit sweaty, try the 20l Syncro. Plus I think Osprey are bringing out their 2015 very soon which have some nice upgrades on this years range. Oh and the Osprey Momentum is a good pack, definitely takes a laptop with special sleeve/padding for it.
  • nibby
    nibby Posts: 246
    Osprey get's my vote. I'm not sure what model my one is but it's quality.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Deuter Bike 1 20Litre

. Has pouch for hi vis waterproof cover, helmet storage straps and can carry camelback bladders too if you require.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deuter-Bike-One-20-Backpack/dp/B00GOAVENM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416136340&sr=8-1&keywords=deuter+bike+one
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I have a Timbuk2 Classic messenger for my 22 mile each way commute. I love it. I tend to take in enough clothes for 2 days so on day one I take it in packed, end of day one I ride home without it. I then get a ride in the next day with no luggage and take it home on day two (I think you get the idea).

Having said all that, I often find myself checking out on-bike luggage options...
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I use the Rapha backpack. It is perfect for carrying a laptop with a great compartment and room to spare for some, but not bulky clothes/ papers. It also comes with a built in water resistant cover which unfurls from a hidden compartment - very useful. They are over priced but comfortable and from my perspective, they are the perfect size to prevent me getting into an old habit of carrying too much clobber on my bike and ending up with a back problem. You can pick them up occasionally on fleabay for around your budget (provided the bidding isn't crazy!). Where you will struggle though is adding trainers to the itinerary - they won't fit in along with lap top and clothes. You need to decide if that's an essential - it's amazing how bulky a pair of trainers can be!

Peter
  • chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 849
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Off to tredz this weekend to see what they have. Also need some cheap overshoes I'm sure they'll have some there