Giant Defy 1 (2013)

JMcP92
JMcP92 Posts: 339
edited February 2015 in Your road bikes
Hey there folks!

Had a few bikes in the MTB section before but never posted up my roadie before.

I'm from Scotland and recently moved to New Zealand, took the bikes with me of course. Not been out too much on the roaide yet due to working, so it's often in commuter mode. However, here it is :)

7nOKwPN.jpg

P4aIle1.jpg?1

And in commuter mode

wuWTJjW.jpg

It is still running SPD's, but I've got to wear the same shoes all day so a bit easier the SPD-SL's or other roadie shoes.

So, as we all know, the modding never stops, and here it's yet to begin but will be doing so next week.
Come next week I'm getting new bars, a new saddle and bar tape to freshen it up a bit. I'm saving up for new wheels and tyres at some point when I can get something decent.

Advice on best other mods to make is always welcome, I'm newbie for roadie riding :)

Cheers,
John

Comments

• JMcP92
    So, changed over the new parts (bars, tape and saddle) and here it is now, only minor changes of course.

ShHuccM.jpg

vXloa3a.jpg?1

4fpzpbY.jpg?1

RUET16O.jpg

Current spec is as follows:

Frame: 2013 Giant Defy 1 (L)
    Fork: 2013 Giant Defy 1
    Wheelset: Giant P-R2
    QR's: Giant
    Tyres: Giant P-R3
    Headset: Giant
    Stem: Superstar Zephir
    Handlebar: Ritchey WCS Evo curve
    Tape: Fizik performance
    Crankset: Shimano R565 (34/50)
    BB: Shimano
    Rear Mech: Shimano 105
    Front Mech: Shimano 105
    Cassette: Shimano 105
    Chain: Shimano 105
    Shifter: Shimano 105 STI
    Brakes: Tektro TK-R540
    Seatpost: Giant Connect Composite 30.9
    Clamp: Giant
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLS kit carbonio
    Pedals: Shimano SPD M540

As I said, the next job will be wheels and tyres, likely gonna go for some Chinese carbon built 38mm clincher wheels and some Conti 4000's
  • I love Giants, it's all I ride, but that is the worst bit of bar taping I have seen in a long time. Sorry.
  • JMcP92
    Sandyballs wrote:
    I love Giants, it's all I ride, but that is the worst bit of bar taping I have seen in a long time. Sorry.

First attempt, it's pretty tragic I know :P I'm going to get some new tape next week and change it over again, gotta learn somehow :)
  • Just redo that tape especially to practice. I have built my last 2 bikes from scratch from frames bought off here. It took about 6 attempts before I was happy with my current build and I class myself as quite handy with DIY on a bike.
  • JMcP92
    Sounds like a good plan :) I'm normally pretty handy in doing work on the bike, but being mainly a MTB-er wrapping bar tape was totally new, so was a bit of a guessing game, but I'll give it a bit of a practice run using this tape and change to the newer tape when I'm satisfied with it, cheers man :)
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    JMcP92 wrote:
    Sounds like a good plan :) I'm normally pretty handy in doing work on the bike, but being mainly a MTB-er wrapping bar tape was totally new, so was a bit of a guessing game, but I'll give it a bit of a practice run using this tape and change to the newer tape when I'm satisfied with it, cheers man :)

Look on youtube for videos on wrapping tape, you'll get the hang of it
  • JMcP92
    DJ58 wrote:

Cheers lad, I do like GCN :) I'll get onto it next time I've the bike apart and a few days off for tidying it up.

Also, some advice from my fellow forum dwellers, is it worth upgrading the tyres to GP4000's before doing the wheels? Given money looks like wheels could take a wee while, but it's summer here, it's warm and so on, and I wouldn't mind a little nicer feel, presumably tyres is the best budget way to give me a "bike parts" fix :)
  • I put 25 mm GP4000s on my Defy 1 and it transformed the ride.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Yes it is worth changing your tyres, the PR-3 are not bad, however there are other choices, consider going to 25mm if you are still on the original 23mm tyres. That was the first change I made to my Defy, as Sumosan said transforms the ride combined with lower tyre pressures.
  • JMcP92
    Finally got around to re-doing the bar tape without rushing it, and just paying attention to the videos and it's so much nicer, just makes the bike feel nicer to ride simply because it's a contact point, very happy :)
    Also changed from SPD to SPD-SL's (105's) and running road shoes as well now. I'll get some more pictures soon.
    Wheels and tyres are still next up on the list, Conti GP4000S II's in 25mm width and 38mm Chinese carbon clinchers, drop a good amount of wheel weight and give it a nice look I like to think :)

Edit: Pic :)

YVmj5lX.jpg
  • My thoughts - get rid of the Gatorskins.

I just bought a 2014 version - Defy 1. Went for the guards as it's to be my winter bike.
    Only had a quick 1 hour spin on it this weekend but like it so far.

Any thoughts on the Giant tyres?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I don't think The PR-3 tyres are to bad they are a front, (soft compound), and rear, (harder compound), specific design type, though have a wire bead. I don't think they are a winter tyre though so you may want to swop them for something else, and try them again in the spring.

Be careful about trying to fit anything bigger than 25mm, as I think you will have clearance problems with the Defy specific mudguards, which are designed for 23/25mm max.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ing-35814/