Strava or MapMyRide

FuManChu
FuManChu Posts: 12
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
I've been using MMR for the last few weeks and find it excellent. Before I really start building a data base and logging routes is it worth switching to Strava?
Thanks

Comments

• WILL 1 AM
    WILL 1 AM Posts: 132
    Strava, it's seems very popular with the ppl I know, who I didn't know ride.
    Leaderboards, segments, very good motivation for me to beat other friends times.

Mmr, never used it, however don't see that many ppl bang on about it, so I'm presuming it's not as popular but not sure.
  • Lion
    Lion Posts: 5
    Exact same situation as you. Started off with MMR, very pleased indeed with it - but everybody is going on about Strava. Think I'm going to make the switch.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I think Strava is the Google of tracking, compared to MMR and others being the AltaVista and Yahoo. You might like one of them more, but eventually you'll succumb to following the crowd. (And to be honest, Strava is fairly excellent for a service which doesn't require any payment and doesn't have any banner ads on its site)
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • funkyg
    funkyg Posts: 68
    I used MMR and then Endomondo, but am now a Strava user.
    I prefer Strava as it will track segments rather than mile markers, so you can target specific segments or a ride when looking at your performance.
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro
    Ridley R6 EL
  • rs6mra1
    rs6mra1 Posts: 105
    Why not use both and see which you prefer. If your GPS device for instance is a Garmin, you will be able to upload your data to both MMR & Strava.
    If you happen to be using your phone, then run both apps at the same time.
  • I prefer Strava for logging rides because of the segments and also more of my cycling buddies are on there too, so it's become a bit like a cycling Facebook.

For making new routes however I can't beat RideWithGPS- once you've created a route you can export as a TCX file which gives turn points on Edge 500 devices- the only site that seems to be able to do this (and makes navigation a whole lot easier!)
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I'm pretty sure Bike Route Toaster lets you export as TCX
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    I prefer Strava for logging rides because of the segments and also more of my cycling buddies are on there too, so it's become a bit like a cycling Facebook.

For making new routes however I can't beat RideWithGPS- once you've created a route you can export as a TCX file which gives turn points on Edge 500 devices- the only site that seems to be able to do this (and makes navigation a whole lot easier!)

You can do this now on Strava
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I used to use MMR and it is definitely less used than Strava - which in one way, is a good thing - you'll probably find you get to the top of lots of leaderboards on segments!! I don't use it any more, switched to Strava and now I'm way down the leaderboards!! :wink: Strava does seem better to me to be honest - I moved to MMR from Strava after I got back from a ride once and Strava had lost the whole ride somehow, switched to MMR in a grump after that - but soon switched back (and it hasn't happened again since!)
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Plus 1 for ridewithgps for route creation. Strava routes incorrectly around roundabouts on some occasions treating them as turns.
  • BLW
    BLW Posts: 96
    I used MMR, then switched to Rustic Roadbike, then moved to Strava, for me Strava iOS a better all round app if using it on the iPhone :)
  • I've looked at most of them and found 'Bikehike' to be the best if you just want to create a route. http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you go to Strava you will never treat riding the same again. Every segment will become a challenge and everyone on it will become your personal nemesis you have to beat. If you ever get a KOM you will constantly check that no one has beaten it. And if they do, you will be consumed by it until you can get out and try and reclaim your crown. Simple rides that took in junctions and traffic lights will become inconvenient obstacles in your quest to better the last ride. So what if that light was red, I bettered my time by 4 seconds hurrah!!!

Strava will kill you in the end. Don't say I didn't warn you.
  • My past two rides logged with strava have been way off with average speeds. Was out with the group last night and they all logged 15 avg mine logged 13.4??? I also use a cateye on my bars and this read the average at 15.2 . I really want to get my winter training right this year and I want to use strava but this data is not going to help.

It does have an update available so I hope this will fix it.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    That's not Strava giving the problems, c it's your phone.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    My past two rides logged with strava have been way off with average speeds. Was out with the group last night and they all logged 15 avg mine logged 13.4??? I also use a cateye on my bars and this read the average at 15.2 . I really want to get my winter training right this year and I want to use strava but this data is not going to help.

It does have an update available so I hope this will fix it.

Sound like your riding mates have their devices set to pause when stopped at lights etc and yours just keeps recording so your average speed is lower.