Stem bolts and torque ratings - can I ignore these?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2014 in Workshop
My new alloy stem is bolting onto an alloy steerer. Do I need to heed the torque ratings or can I just tighten up until its "tight"?

I'm not keen to shell out for a torque wrench if its isn't necessary

Comments

• I'd say it's worth investing in a Ritchey torque key for such occasions. Not expensive and will come in handy for future use. Must be said though that 5nm is tighter than you think it would be.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Alloy stem on alloy steerer - you should be able to get away with just doing the bolts up tight. With a normal allen key it's unlikely you will get enough leverage to over-tighten then. Just be sensible that's all.

If you don't want the worry of overtightening then get something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bontrager-Tor ... 4897.l4275

I have one and it works fine
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Thanks for that - "tight" it is then. Saved myself £25 there (no jokes about me being a tight git! ;) )
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I'd say it's worth investing in a Ritchey torque key for such occasions. Not expensive and will come in handy for future use. Must be said though that 5nm is tighter than you think it would be.
    Agreed. The size (hence leverage) of the Ritchey torque key would stop me tightening the bolts much above 5nm even without the torque mechanism because my fingers would give up first. it's a good investment.