External BB cups on '80s steel

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited October 2014 in Workshop
I'm wanting to run a modern campag chainset on my 1985 Gios, is there anything i need to be weary of? It currently runs a dura-ace 7400 chainset using a square taper BB.

Obviously Italian threads but is there anything else i need to check first?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nope it will work just buy cups for a 70mm shell.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Any reason to replace a top of the range chainset which is still light even by modern standard with something that will last less and do exactly the same job?

PS: If they are the 7410 cranks, I might be interested in them
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    If you do change to external bearings do get the BB shell faced to get the max life from the bearings.

Which will still only be a fraction of the life if a decent square taper BB set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    Any reason to replace a top of the range chainset which is still light even by modern standard with something that will last less and do exactly the same job?

PS: If they are the 7410 cranks, I might be interested in them

I want to run compact gearing which obviously I can't do with these.

They are CS 7402.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Try FC-7402 CS is for cassettes!

I have a set of FC-7410 cranks and they are so lovely and light. Persoanlly I would train more so you can turn the higher gear. I used a 41T inner ring ona 5km 11%+ climb with a 27T rear sprocket. It has hard but doable. The 7402 is susch a nice piece of kit you would refret changin it.

Also you could run a stronglight impact double chainset in 50/34T they take a square taper BB but a shorter axle than the 7402.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.