Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc

davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
edited September 2015 in Your road bikes
Here's my 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc - really pleased with it :D

Excellent service from Epic Cycles and well worth the trip over to see Ben and get a proper bike fitting.

DHhA1f.jpg
6cotmH.jpg
stVUNa.jpg
5d1uEL.jpg
dnSOpR.jpg
hmD9yd.jpg
LSv6mV.jpg

Frame: Synapse Alloy Disc, Optimized 6061 Alloy, SAVE PLUS, BB30
Fork: Synapse SAVE Disc, Carbon blades, 1-1/8"
Rims: Maddux RD 3.0 Disc, 28-hole
Hubs: Formula DC1420 front, DC1422 rear
Spokes: Stainless Steel, 15g
Tires: Schwalbe Lugano, 700x25c
Pedals: M:Part flats
Crank: FSA Gossamer, BB30, 50/34
Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30
Chain: Shimano HG600, 11-speed
Rear Cogs: Shimano 105 5800, 11-32, 11-speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105, 31.8 clamp
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 5800
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Handlebar: Cannondale C3 Compact, butted 6061 alloy
Tape: Cannondale Grip Bar Tape w/Gel, 3.5mm
Stem: Cannondale C3, 31.8, 6 deg.
Headset: Synapse Si, 25mm top cap
Brakes: Promax Render R, 160mm front, 140mm rear
Brake Levers: Shimano 105 5800
Saddle: Cannondale Stage Ergo w/ Crmo Rails
Seatpost: Cannondale C3, Alloy, 25.4x300mm
Size: 56
Colour: Jet Black w/ Nearly Black, Charcoal Grey and Magnesium White, Matte
Mudguards: SKS Chromoplastic P35
Weight: Approx 10.3kg with pedals and mudguards

The dork disc will come off when I'm confident the chain won't fly into my rear wheel, the steerer tube cut when I'm sure the lower back can take it and pedals swapped when my Shimano AM41s run out of life.

Overall very happy!
Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc

• bmxboy10bmxboy10 Posts: 1,908
    Glad you like it but it looks kind of wrong to me - sorry! Do you have the long mech because its a triple? May look better without the guards and those pedals!
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Do you have the long mech because its a triple? May look better without the guards and those pedals!
    It's a compact. The guards are there as it'll be ridden through winter and as I say the pedals will be swapped out in time.
    Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc
  • Like the look of that. Just the silly seat post size putting me off. I know it shouldn't but after a quick look, there aren't many aftermarket options to replace it if you want to. Such a stupid thing to put me off a bike eh!?
  • 6wheels6wheels Posts: 411
    edited September 2014
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Like the look of that. Just the silly seat post size putting me off. I know it shouldn't but after a quick look, there aren't many aftermarket options to replace it if you want to. Such a stupid thing to put me off a bike eh!?

No. it's not stupid at all, I've had a Synapse with the oddball seat post size for nearly a year and why Cannondale can't offer more choice is beyond me. It's not a bad bike, but can't put up with not being able to modify my position... classified's soon.

It's not just Cannondale, I also have a Canyon cf sl with its 1 1/2" steerer diameter, which again restricts choice.
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Like it and respect the winter coat is required...
  • 6wheels wrote:
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    Like the look of that. Just the silly seat post size putting me off. I know it shouldn't but after a quick look, there aren't many aftermarket options to replace it if you want to. Such a stupid thing to put me off a bike eh!?

No. it's not stupid at all, I've had a Synapse with the oddball seat post size for nearly a year and why Cannondale can't offer more choice is beyond me. It's not a bad bike, but can't put up with not being able to modify my position... classified's soon.

It's not just Cannondale, I also have a Canyon cf sl with its 1 1/2" steerer diameter, which again restricts choice.Mind you, the Canyon is in a different league compared to the Synapse, so nice and comfortable to ride.

It's a shame as I like the look of them and it's the sort of bike I want to get. The only after market post I've seen in that size is a Thomson and they're not in stock in most places.

It's still on the list of possibilities though and was good to see one in the flesh (so to speak) on here.
  • That should be a great winter mile eater, I like it.
  • just ordered this model to use as winter trainer, lovely looking bike, had a 2013 synapse in black but it got stolen. :cry: people going on about seatpost, supposed to be more comfortable (more flex). how do you find riding it?
  • rob21rob21 Posts: 284
    here is mine.
    i fitted some ContiGP 4000S After This Photo :D
    cannondalesynapse2015disc2_zps84b378f1.jpg
  • Which mudguards have you fitted? Evans Cycles say that chromo plastic won't fit only Crud. Can't be right as I thought the bike had specific mudguard fittings?
  • MishCliffMishCliff Posts: 14
    Thought I'd add to this topic as I've had my Synapse about 3 months now
    Personally - can't fault it - very happy with it so far and it hasn't missed a beat yet - the gears and brakes are very good - no probs with the Promax mech discs so far

To answer some of the questions raised her
    Mudguards wise - you should no probs fitting mud guards as there is a good 10-15 mm space between the forks and the wheel
    Seatpost wise - yes there are limits, you are looking at about £60 for a C2 seatpost or an FSA version

If you are looking to buy think about what you want it for
    Personally I wanted something that will do a bit of everything in all conditions, if you want something purely for sportive or the summer you might want to look at alternatives,
    If you are 5'10 like me (33 inside leg) - you are right between frame sizes... I am on a 56 but have the seatpost at the absolute max and double spacer on the stem - a 58 might be better - or a longer crank on the 56

What would I recommend as upgrades
    1 seat post - for comfort, although I could survive without
    2 wheelset - the RD 3's are not great rollers - but its an expensive upgrade
    3 saddle - but I am being really picky - the stock is ok
  • I've had it since October and got it to have hassle free cycling during the winter, unfortunately had nothing but trouble.

I'm medium high and build but commute most days in London racking up approx 100 miles a week
    The problems I have/had
    The rear disc brake won't lock the rear wheel even at slow speeds in traffic.
    The Seat fell of as I came away from a set of lights as I caught it with my B>>>>
    Broke one spoke on the rear and then a second one had to have the whole wheel rebuilt.

Now I've got problems with the forks, unfortunately I don't think this bike is up to London roads, I also think 11 speed might be weakening the rear wheel and the cable routing is "interesting"

I wouldn't recommend - sorry
  • CalpolCalpol Posts: 1,039
    That bike could ride like a magic carpet but I still couldn't enjoy riding it. Dull as dishwater. Sorry :(
  • It does look a comfortable set up, and whats with that massive conical spacer on the steerer tube?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • I got one of these last September as my winter hack, and apart from needing a new bottom bracket its been great. Even the stock Luganos - which I was expecting to replace - haven't given me any punctures after ~800 miles.

Some 27mm Open Paves and a second wrap of bar tape and it did me proud at Roubaix too :lol:
  • RideOnTimeRideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    here is mine.
    i fitted some ContiGP 4000S After This Photo :D
    cannondalesynapse2015disc2_zps84b378f1.jpg

nice :):)
  • marcusjbmarcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Bought my wife one of these a few weeks ago - really nice bike and really hard to fault. Great value!

She's well chuffed with it.
  • gibillgibill Posts: 8
    haven't been able to read all of your replies.......thinking of making the purchase on the bike you have (only in red/I love the red one).......any advice to me with the experience you now have with yours?........can get it for 13............my first bike in years......should I get 25mm tires put on it or are the 23's ok?......really appreciate anything you can tell me.........was gonna give it a test ride tomorrow but it is supposed to rain..........help
  • MishCliffMishCliff Posts: 14
    Just put the C2 carbon seatpost on mine, well worth the £60

:D
  • Looks Great, I have a 2013 model and trying to get mudguards, I already order the SKS Chromoplastic P35, my only question is, did you need any special hardware to install it? the hole on the rear fender to attach on the bridge was already there?
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks