Hideously long aero bonce receptacles.

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v wrote:
    He's using a different tri spoke these days by the looks of it

And electronic shifters
    It's got much thinner spokes on that than the old one. Electronic shifters is surprising given his history with them! Is it to get those extensions as long as possible (No lever sticking out)? I remember Nibali having something done to his mechanical levers so they didn't stick out as far once so it wouldn't fall foul of the regulations.

Whilst we're on the subject, Wiggo looks absolutely perfect possition wise on the bike, even on a road bike his profile is great.
  • the reason (i think) he and others were using mechanical on TT bikes last year is because the measurement was from BB to pivot point on the shifter, but that has now changed to the tip of the lever making DI2 a better option as the tip of the bar is solid
  • I thought the more modern shorter tailed lids were to make them better with cross winds, and not just head on ones.

But oddly I was at the national track champs in Manchester on friday and almost everyone was wearing a short tailed Kask (or equiv.), and not many cross winds in there ?!?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    morstar wrote:
    It would be interesting to see what positions and gear Boardman and Obree would bring if they were still riding. Obviously Obree would be more likely to be radical but Boardman would be at the forefront of refining the more traditional position.

That would definitely be interesting. Boardman was on TV a few years ago laughing about what he thought was aero - even just a few years ago, never mind when he was riding.

I find it funny watching old TTs - I saw Ullrich a few years ago and it would be interesting to know how fast he would have been in a decent position.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • k-dog wrote:

I find it funny watching old TTs - I saw Ullrich a few years ago and it would be interesting to know how fast he would have been in a decent position.

Interestingly enough, it's incredible how fast he went considering his positions. He had a reputation for sending similar dimensioned riders on his team to go sit on his bikes to see if they fit, and slammed all stems irrespective of the bike. Pretty certain he never saw the inside of wind tunnel either.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    philwint wrote:
    I thought the more modern shorter tailed lids were to make them better with cross winds, and not just head on ones.
    And they are better in the "suffering position"....head down in full stem-watching-Froome mode.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,615
    k-dog wrote:

Interestingly enough, it's incredible how fast he went considering his positions. He had a reputation for sending similar dimensioned riders on his team to go sit on his bikes to see if they fit, and slammed all stems irrespective of the bike. Pretty certain he never saw the inside of wind tunnel either.

Looks alright to me. Main thing that seems to be different is the arm positioning, but the back/head/shoulders is broadly the same to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... KdVE#t=468

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 8LPca3xI6M

ullrich2.jpg

spacer.gif

Any TTers want to comment?
  • Sorry, not saying he had a bad position, but the lengths other riders went to in comparison. In all honesty it makes me like him more as a rider.

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    Sorry, not saying he had a bad position, but the lengths other riders went to in comparison. In all honesty it makes me like him more as a rider.

Me too mate, me too.

Was it you with the story where some riders at a crit were making jokes about fat Ullrich a month or so before the tour, when he turned up, dirty tanned pins - ripped their legs off for 40 minutes on the front all on his own, before peeling off before the finish?
  • Sorry, not saying he had a bad position, but the lengths other riders went to in comparison. In all honesty it makes me like him more as a rider.

Me too mate, me too.

Was it you with the story where some riders at a crit were making jokes about fat Ullrich a month or so before the tour, when he turned up, dirty tanned pins - ripped their legs off for 40 minutes on the front all on his own, before peeling off before the finish?

It wasn't me but I remember it, it was one of the lads who raced in France (disgruntledgoat springs to mind?).

Was it the story where he drops his trackie bottoms to reveal his legs and there were gasps and whisperings of "merde" through the changing rooms?

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • rick_chasey
    Bahaha something like that.

*sighs* those were the days eh?
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Unicycle-Racer-42713-300x259.jpg
    Uni-Time-Trial.jpg

Me too mate, me too.

It wasn't me but I remember it, it was one of the lads who raced in France (disgruntledgoat springs to mind?).

Was it the story where he drops his trackie bottoms to reveal his legs and there were gasps and whisperings of "merde" through the changing rooms?

Not me sir, I've got a good Roger Hammond story but that's about all I had to show for it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent