Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Hideously long aero bonce receptacles.

FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
edited November 2014 in Pro race
The wind tunnel streamliners slip through the air giving up every last peice of effort. Seeing them looking down giving the Chris Froome really vexes me thus, with the feckless sponsored air brake.
«1

Posts

  • ProssPross Posts: 25,366
    That's why they are generally switching to rounded helmets like the Sky / GB Kask.
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    I take it we mean this sort of thing:

    Good:
    pic372688193_670.jpg

    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

    Bad:
    notaero.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    Pross wrote:
    That's why they are generally switching to rounded helmets like the Sky / GB Kask.

    Yes I have seem them start to appear.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    Daz555 wrote:
    I take it we mean this sort of thing:

    I know its for a short amount of time but it still annoys me, the same as a large radio stuffed down a skin suit and flapping safety pin position numbers on a £6k+ bike.

    aero+helmet+3.jpg
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,585 Lives Here
    Daz555 wrote:
    I take it we mean this sort of thing:

    Good:
    pic372688193_670.jpg

    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

    Bad:
    notaero.jpg


    Roadie

    Roadie

    Triathlete
  • ai_1ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Roadie

    Roadie

    Triathlete
    Whether no.3 is a triathlete or not is irrelevant. There's no shortage of the same from roadies
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    Here's the best tester on the planet up to no good:

    tony_martin_time_trial.jpg?itok=Xs9KYgmF

    0396_WorldsTT_Tony_MARTIN_1st_stPhSpt.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,264
    Daz555 wrote:
    Here's the best tester on the planet up to no good:
    It's a handicapping system. The more he beats everyone by, the longer the fin he has to have.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    Pross wrote:
    That's why they are generally switching to rounded helmets like the Sky / GB Kask.

    2-chris-froome-620x511.jpg

    Makes a lot of sense for Chris Froomes head down effort style of riding.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    malori-ItTT.jpg
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 52,585 Lives Here
    ai_1 wrote:
    Roadie

    Roadie

    Triathlete
    Whether no.3 is a triathlete or not is irrelevant. There's no shortage of the same from roadies

    fun-sponge.jpg
  • Nothing really new with shorter aero helmets.

    Chris-Boardman-1995-Criterium-Int-Watson.jpg
  • I have seen the future....
    49022.00.jpg
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • andy_wrxandy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?
    - forced him to keep his head in the right position

    Typical Obree thinking, perfectly logical, but a bit leftfield :lol:
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?
    - forced him to keep his head in the right position

    Typical Obree thinking, perfectly logical, but a bit leftfield :lol:

    Yes. In the same way he built his TT bike beating large manufactures, brilliant eccentricity, will power.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?
    - forced him to keep his head in the right position

    Typical Obree thinking, perfectly logical, but a bit leftfield :lol:
    Haha, genius! As I would expect from him
  • ProssPross Posts: 25,366
    I've got a club mate who is a bit Obree like in his ways if not in his riding ability. He has some velcro on the helmet point and the other half in the corresponding part of his skin suit to do the same as that Obree technique. He has also fixed a pouch to his skinsuit that his race number fits into so that everything is kept flat and doesn't flap around as it would when pinned on.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    That's not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing something similar as the pin holes start to knacker the skinsuit after a while and they're £100 a pop!
  • mm1mm1 Posts: 1,101
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Didn't Obree train with a bungee cord sewn into the back of his jersey which clipped to the back of his helmet ?
    - forced him to keep his head in the right position

    Typical Obree thinking, perfectly logical, but a bit leftfield :lol:

    Not new either, Maitre Jacques worked obsessively on holding his egg shaped tuck and Alf Engers position and ability to hold it were pretty good.

    The don't look down mantra has been hammered for years for safety reasons, but everyone does it.
  • morstarmorstar Posts: 3,873
    It would be interesting to see what positions and gear Boardman and Obree would bring if they were still riding. Obviously Obree would be more likely to be radical but Boardman would be at the forefront of refining the more traditional position.
  • FocusZingFocusZing Posts: 4,380
    Bradley-Wiggins-2014-world-time-trial-champion-630x427.jpeg

    Brilliant win for Sir Bradley Wiggins, Great to see the Union Jack balance to the line. Looking forward to David Millars team.
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    Paul 8v wrote:
    That's not a bad idea, I was thinking of doing something similar as the pin holes start to knacker the skinsuit after a while and they're £100 a pop!
    The pins thing is so 1930s it is crazy. Surely by now we can come up with a sensible solution!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I use race belts for triathlon - you need to have the number on your back for the bike and on the front for the run - so you pin to an elastic belt and you can turn it round. It flaps at the bottom - but maybe you could do a double belt ?
  • Daz555 wrote:
    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

    Stylistically fantastic.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackPozziJackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    cougie wrote:
    I use race belts for triathlon - you need to have the number on your back for the bike and on the front for the run - so you pin to an elastic belt and you can turn it round. It flaps at the bottom - but maybe you could do a double belt ?


    People have tried that but the belts tend to move towards each other apparently
  • Daz555Daz555 Posts: 4,040
    Daz555 wrote:
    Good:
    br11st4_WIGGINS_TT1.jpg

    Stylistically fantastic.
    I reckon it is my favourite ever bike/kit/lid combo.

    Hmm, or perhaps this one from TOB 2014:

    Bradley-Wiggins-Tour-of-Britain-2014-stage-8-ITT-610x406.jpg
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    JackPozzi wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I use race belts for triathlon - you need to have the number on your back for the bike and on the front for the run - so you pin to an elastic belt and you can turn it round. It flaps at the bottom - but maybe you could do a double belt ?


    People have tried that but the belts tend to move towards each other apparently
    I did see some magnets somewhere, they weren't cheap but they were cheaper than buying new numbers all the time. Especially when some people fold them up to make them smaller and trash them
  • ^I like the kit better but much prefer the bike im the first.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8vPaul 8v Posts: 5,458
    He's using a different tri spoke these days by the looks of it, I think it was a de-badged HED before?
  • philbar72philbar72 Posts: 2,228
    Used a pro tri spoke, the newest one out. Supposed to be the best tri spoke out there....
Sign In or Register to comment.