Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Bikes you don't see often but think you should

davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
edited September 2014 in Road general
Just completed my first sportive today and while there were lots of S-Works, Cervelo's and Felt's I noticed there weren't many Cannondales which seemed a bit of a surprise - possibly down to the local shops in the area I suppose but there were approx 1k riders.

What bikes don't you see which surprises you?
Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc

• Majority of my rides are between German and Dutch border and I see countless bike brands. One I can honestly say I have never seen as often as you would imaging is Trek. For such a big company they seem to hardly exist here.
  • Well considering the reaction on here to the "common as muck" Spesh Allez (I ride one myself) I've yet to see another when I'm out and about on my bike which surprises me?!?

Seen lots of Pinerello and Cervelo though ..

Never seen a Rose either.
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Not sure I could, or would want to make a mental note of every bike on a sportive, and unless you do, how do you know which bikes were not there?
  • DKayDKay Posts: 1,652
    On my local sportives, Felts are a bit of a rarity. Tons of Scotts though. :(
  • Cannondale master race signing in!

At my first (and last) sportive I saw loads of Cube, Specialized and Planet X too. Plenty of Boardmans to boot.
  • Brian BBrian B Posts: 2,071
    My bikes are uncommon during any event:-

Storck
    Orbea
    Van Nic

Saw a few of my brands when cycling sportives and holidays abroad in Europe but in Blighty very very rare indeed.
    Brian B.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    And interestingly I saw a few of each of those on the Etape Cymru last week.

(maybe it was the same ones again and again though !)
  • I saw a TIME bike too, never heard of them up until that point!
  • jamesesjameses Posts: 653
    I'm surprised at how few Ribbles I have seen out on the road in the areas I have been riding in the (South/South-West and South Wales). Given their reputation as great VFM, I would expect to see a fair few more of them about. Maybe a different situation up around their showroom, though.
  • derosaderosa Posts: 2,819
    Any Wiliers about?

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • derosa wrote:
    Any Wiliers about?
    I actually saw one on the day!
  • Philly8mt wrote:
    Well considering the reaction on here to the "common as muck" Spesh Allez (I ride one myself) I've yet to see another when I'm out and about on my bike which surprises me?!?

Seen lots of Pinerello and Cervelo though ..

Never seen a Rose either.

My Rose will arrive in a day or 2. I've only ever seen one other.
  • DavidJBDavidJB Posts: 2,019
    derosa wrote:
    Any Wiliers about?

I have one...its awesome :D
  • Bearing in mind how good value Rose and Canyon are im surprised i dont see more of them around.

I seem to see Wiliers everywhere !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • I have a BMC and don't see too many other ones about
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • jameses wrote:
    I'm surprised at how few Ribbles I have seen out on the road in the areas I have been riding in the (South/South-West and South Wales). Given their reputation as great VFM, I would expect to see a fair few more of them about. Maybe a different situation up around their showroom, though.

I'm in Somerset and am always surprised at how many Ribbles I see!!!
  • Two of my three are pretty rare too. Legend 4.7 and Legend 9.5
    See plenty of the third one around, SWorks Tarmac SL4
    Did see one lovely Legend 10.5 on the Prudential London Ride, had a nice chat with the rider who was complaining that it didn't make him any faster. ;-)
  • RoktRokt Posts: 493
    I ride a Look 675 and haven't seen another yet ! I'm also surprised how few Canyon & Rose bikes
    about. I don't see any titanium either but I do see a hell of a lot of drivers on mobile phones,
    but that's another story.
  • davidmt83 wrote:
    derosa wrote:
    Any Wiliers about?
    I actually saw one on the day!

If you're doing the New Forest 100, you might see me on my Wilier zero.7!! awesome bike, I love it!

I usually do some kind of exotic bike spotting when on a sportive, so far my top trump was a fondriest with super record EPS...
    Wilier Zero.7 Chorus
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I've seen a fair few Wiliers around. Not so many BMC's though.
  • brettjmccbrettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Look

Only ever seen one and that was in France... has made me want the 695 though...
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • crispybug2crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    DKay wrote:
    On my local sportives, Felts are a bit of a rarity. Tons of Scotts though. :(

I ride a Scott and I haven't seen another one round here since forever.

I've never seen a Colnago either.