Crash with car with new carbon bike

slipstreamdreamer
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I have a new carbon bike with less tha 200 mile on it which took an heavy head on crash with a car. Haven't had a proper inspection due to injuries but i know the rear deraileur hanger dropout is bent amongst other battle scars.
Because of the collision technically the manufactures frameset warranty is now void .

My question is is the frameset safe to ride in the future or could it have a hairline crack and fail anytime and really throwing.

Forgot to add car driver has admitted liabilty

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    I wouldn't trust it after a heavy collision. Take it in to a decent LBS to have a look at, they will probably say it isn't safe to ride even if there is no superficial damage.

Hope you recover from the injuries and are back on the (new) bike soon!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Give it a thorough visual inspection - was there an actual impact with the frame? Look out for cracks and 'bruises' where tubes have been crushed - carbon is surprisingly tough and rarely fails suddenly and catastrophically. I have a 10 year-old carbon frame that has been battered and cracked for years but is still going. Obviously, if the driver has admitted liability, try and get a replacement on the basis that it's hard to guarantee the structural integrity of the frame.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I got hit by a car a couple of weeks ago, it was a full side impact which knocked my rear wheel out and forced my seat and bars out of position by 90 degrees and my shifters were bent round too, the car ended up with a dented bonnet and broken headlight but some how I got away with bruises.
    The Scott CR1 is fine, I stripped the bike down and built it back up and it's had a few punishing rides since and it's fine.
    This carbon stuff seems a little stronger than I thought.

I'd be surprised if the assessors didn't write your frame off, going on past experiences they write off anything carbon that's been involved in an impact.