Super Record BB bearing sealing?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I've just picked up a bargain priced and barely used second hand SR Ti chainset. Happy days.

One thing that slightly concerns me is the lack of sealing on the (rather expensive poncey ceramic!) bearings. There's no inner seal on the cartridge, and whilst on the NDS cranks there's a seperate rubber seal that's just about making contact with the bearing, on the DS one the bearing is sitting between 1 & 2mm away from the seal.

Is it simply that the DS bearing isn't pushed far enough down the axle? How tight is the interference fit between bearing and axle - can I remove the bearing (to regrease it) using a puller without trashing it? (If it''s a proper tight fit, I run the risk of brinelling the races when I yank it off)

Any recommendations for grease for ceramic bearings?

Once the whole shebang is assembled - how weather proof is it? It's going on the good bike, so won't get truly abysmal weather, but it still will get ridden in the wet periodically. Be a PITA if I have to strip it down every damp ride to regrease...

NDS crank
15252925856_0d6545743d_z.jpg

DS crank
15275541462_1db088f223_z.jpg
15252925766_52ebfd79bc_z.jpg

Thanks!

Jon

Comments

• SR bearings/cups don't have a seal.

I've run an SR chainset on a bike since 2011 and it's been through some downpours (even if it is on the good bike) and in that time it's only required one set of replacement bearings.

The best thing to use on CULT bearings is a thin mineral oil like sewing machine oil. Putting grease on them totally defeats the purpose of ceramic bearings.