BB maintenance

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited September 2014 in Workshop
HI guys,

I'm on the hunt for a 'squeak'. Think it might be coming from the BB so having now armed myself with a crank puller and BB removal tool, I took the BB out last night. Its a sealed cartridge BB. I've searched YouTube/Sheldon Brown/Park Tools for information on servicing/lubricating these and can't find anything so I'm wondering...are sealed cartridge BBs not serviceable? If not, should I be lubricating them anywhere and if so where?

The outside casing of the BB had some dirt and slight corrosion on it, so I'm going to clean that up and the retaining cups on either side were also fairly dirty so will clean them too, but is there anything I should be doing with the BB?

Cheers
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    use or replace. that is it really.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks - just didn't want go looking for a new one cos mine had had it and someone turn around and say it'd would have lasted longer if you'd greased it every now and then...

It sounds and feels ok out of the bike, so I'll clean it up externally and try it again, see if that stops the squeak!!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"