Another Bottom Bracket question

tremendousj
tremendousj Posts: 13
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a 2012 Allez triple that I'm going to use as a winter/commuter and I want to swap the 2300 triple for a 105 groupset that I've inherited. Is it a simple case of swapping out the current BB for a hollowtech II BB?

Thanks

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    A quick google seems to indicate that you have a Shimano FC2303 crankset which as far as I can tell uses a square taper bottom bracket.

If that is the case then you can't simply swap your 105 crankset over. You will need to remove the square taper BB and fit a Hollowtech II BB. Not a huge hassle and the HTII BB's are pretty cheap
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yes, just remove it and put in a HTII - I got a very good deal on a Ultegra one this week - 11.99 at CRC.

It's worth having the shell faced - I didn't do that the first time I changed mine and it didn't seem to last long. Had it faced and the next one has lasted a lot longer. Not expensive and only needs done once.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Hi, thanks for the replies.

I got the Ultegra one from CRC too
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would also get the BB shell faced. If you want to the bearing to have a half decent life.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Interesting recommendation to get the BB shell faced. I would of thought production bikes are faced at the factory or is this something they may need repeating after a few years?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    curium wrote:
    Interesting recommendation to get the BB shell faced. I would have thought production bikes are faced at the factory or is this something they may need repeating after a few years?
    Once it has been done all is good.

Factory bikes faced. You are having a laugh.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    A bike that hasn't had an external BB before didnt need faced anyway - because nothing is contacting that part of the shell.

Anyway, as nicklouse said even with an external BB they aren't done. They should be but they're not.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It's also worth smearing some waterproof grease (e.g. silicone grease) around the dust cap on the drive side of the new HTII BB; I find that area's a bit of a watertrap where the crank butts up to the cap.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Slightly delayed but I've been away, thanks for all the advice.