Shimano STI Shifter install

ti_yred
ti_yred Posts: 55
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi,
Been installing new 105 groupset and everything was going fine until I tried installing the left hand shifter/front derailleur. Rear brakes work ok, cable inners and outers all new, nothings catching etc but I cannot for the life of me get the FD to move at all when using the shifter. Barrel adjuster is screwed all the way in, no play in the cable when the pinch bolt is tightened, limit screws all the way open so nothing stopping the derailleur moving etc...

No problems with the rear derailleur but the front has me stumped. What am I missing out (its bound to be something simple)? I get the feeling I need to hold the FD spring at tension (ie over the large chainring) and tighten up the cable, which I have tried doing but still no lever induced movement.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tommo

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'm gonna put my money on too much slack in the cable. Unclamp it, give it a good pull through and clamp it back up. While you're at it double check that the nipple's seated properly in the shifter and the housings are all seated in the frame stops.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited September 2014
    Check the front derailleur isnt too low and hitting the chainring.

Make sure to click the downshift button into its lowest position when clamping the cable.

If you have a plastic cable guide that runs under the bottom bracket. Check that it is pushed in or screwed into the frame properly and is secure.

If you are installing 105 5700 then it might be too much cable tension. i know my dura ace 7900 suffers from this. i think 105 5700 is the same design.

If you are installing 105 5800 then it might be to do with the cable clamping position. There are two options so try both. you could also try raising the front derailleur's height so there is more leverage.
  • DCDB
    DCDB Posts: 27
    Sometimes new FDs come with a bit of plastic in the mechanism to hold them in the outer shifted position to enable easier alignment. This happened on my Giant and in the course of checking it over when it first arrived the plastic bit fell out. That would stop the FD from shifting
  • Gents,
    Thanks for your thoughts, finally sussed it. As I hoped it was something simple.....I hadn't ensured the knob (?) on the end of the cable had seated fully into the ratchet mechanism inside the shifter and therefore the lever wasn't able to pick it up and take up the slack and pull the gear cable to operate the FD....

A little bit fiddly if all your fingers are like thumbs but not too hard for most normal folk :lol: (Oh its 5800 105)

Thanks again

Tommo