Help needed - size of Planet X

motogull
motogull Posts: 325
edited October 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all.

Mate of mine wants to get a Planet X Pro Carbon Sram Rival 22 Road Bike but doesn't know whether to go for a L or XL. He's comfy on his 21" specialized sirrus hybrid. He's 6 1.

Anyone sufficiently familiar to offer a steer? Thanks in advance for any comments.

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Large
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Hi I recently bought a frame only...I'm 6ft..I went for the equivalent of 56cm which fits me just fine which is the same as L I believe.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Don't confuse 56cm L with the XL having 56 after it on size guide...my 56cm refers to C effective top tube length which is the L size.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ask Planet X. They're good for stuff like that. No doubt there will be a guy there about the same size.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    whatever a 58 is in planet x sizing.
  • I hope he's bought it already, as prices went up today from £799 to £999.

EDIT: Apologies, take that back, it looks like they now have two extremely similar bikes but the costs differ by £200:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    I'm 6ft 1. Went to the store to buy a Large PX, had a sit on the bikes on the rollers, came out with an XL.
  • He's ordered one. He's well chuffed.

Thanks for all comments. Very much appreciated.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Go for the biggest size you can, more for your money that way. I'm only 5'1" tall and weigh 9 stone but I always buy xxl clothing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Go for the biggest size you can, more for your money that way. I'm only 5'1" tall and weigh 9 stone but I always buy xxl clothing.
    If cut out what you don't need it's perfect for repairs and such like... I've always wondered why larger sizes don't cost more?
  • If cut out what you don't need it's perfect for repairs and such like... I've always wondered why larger sizes don't cost more?

They do in kids clothes
  • Does anyone know the actual top tube for the planet x pro carbon XL, it cant be 59cm, that's huge or if it is then what size ribble bike do I need? I'm trying to buy a ribble frame and get them to match as best I can.

thanks

andrew
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Just look at and compare the Effective Top Tubes of the two. The PX is indeed 59cm. Look at the relevant geometry chart on the Ribble you're looking at and find one that's closest.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    andrew2020 wrote:
    Does anyone know the actual top tube for the planet x pro carbon XL, it cant be 59cm, that's huge or if it is then what size ribble bike do I need? I'm trying to buy a ribble frame and get them to match as best I can.

thanks

andrew

Just measured mine, centre of seatpost to centre of top of head tube, horizontal line is 56cm.