Squeaky fsa b/b

philcube
philcube Posts: 45
edited September 2014 in Workshop
Hi all,
I recently purchased my first road bike (cannondale caad 8 sora), only done around 50 dry miles so far (bike is 2 weeks old). Washed it down with sponge and soapy water, and rinsed with watering can, dried with towel and re-lubed chain. Went for a quick ride a few hours later, and noticed a high pitch squeaking noise when pedalling. I swapped the pedals for my flat mtb ones, squeak still there. removed rear wheel and spun the crank, squeak still there, so removed pedals and disconnected chain by the fsa link, leaving the cranks to spin freely, squeak still there. There is no play in the b/b, and it spins freely with no grinding, just a high pitch squeaking (like a mouse is living in there). B/B is fsa cartridge, Chainset is fsa vero square taper. The noise wasn't there before washing the bike, it just appeared from nowhere on the first ride after washing, surely getting the b/b area wet wouldn't cause this, or am I missing something?? Anyone else had this problem, or is it a case of returning to retailer to sort out?

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Normally a cartridge bottom bracket is sealed well, so water doesn't harm, but I don't know about FSA BB's.
    Might be a poorly lubricated one , easily replacable by f.i. a Shimano one.
    I wouldn't bother too much and (have) replace the BB.
    No big deal as they are dirt cheap.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If it it's smooth and drag free then I'd hazard a guess that it's just the seal itself making a noise as it slides against the shaft. Try running a drop of oil down the spindle of the bottom bracket on both sides.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • 9-99 from crc will get you a 105 5700 bb which is infinitely better and will give many trouble free miles, I suggest you buy one
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • desweller
    I don't think you can still get 105 BBs in square taper but would love to be proved wrong!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks for your input guys,
    I tried putting a couple of drops of oil on the spindle, as suggested, and it seems to have solved the problem. Only went round the block a couple of times to test it out, but all seems good. Hopefully get 20 miles in tomorrow, so that should be a truer test.
    As for replacement b/b's, am I right in thinking that shimano are octalink from bb es25 upwards?,if so, my options are limited unless I upgrade Chainset at the same time?
  • desweller
    Wiggle are still selling UN55s; you can't really go wrong with those, they're very robust.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}