Vuelta stage 21 ***spoilers***

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    10643886_316211261883740_1303586800_n.jpg

I beat you in the GC, I sat on your wheel and beat you in 2 stages and now I'm taking your fiancee :twisted:
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Pross wrote:

I beat you in the GC, I sat on your wheel and beat you in 2 stages and now I'm taking your fiancee :twisted:

Is Contador doing the Sprinkler?!
  • Pross wrote:

Meh.
    Megan got a much better photo with Marcel Kittel, on the Tumble, last Tuesday. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Cound with the greatest stage race rider of his generation. Trying to get some tips so Froome can win his second GT (he only has one to Contador's 8 and Nibali's 3).

Repeat after me:
    'Alberto Contador has only won six Grand Tours.'

The word "only" in that sentence is a bit redundant. Six is still kind of OK, really
  • _77586084_contadorepa.jpg

Not really sure what to say about this photo...
  • _77586084_contadorepa.jpg

..that photo looks like it could appear in a feature (corner) in Viz.

A great Vuelta anyway!
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Cound with the greatest stage race rider of his generation. Trying to get some tips so Froome can win his second GT (he only has one to Contador's 8 and Nibali's 3).

Repeat after me:
    'Alberto Contador has only won six Grand Tours.'

The word "only" in that sentence is a bit redundant. Six is still kind of OK, really

Agreed, for me he definitely is the best GT rider of his generation and 6 is brilliant. It's just to remind certain people that he hasn't won 8.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • salsiccia1
    _77586084_contadorepa.jpg

Is that Riis photobombing in the corner?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    _77586084_contadorepa.jpg

It looks like he's midway placing a Jelly Mould on the top of the gold bloke's head
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

He's definitely the campest stage race rider of his generation.
  • 20140914_%C2%A9BrakeThrough-Media_E22V4117.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • agree with all the comments about the pointlessness of such a short TT as a final stage but also - what about the set-up of the finish!?
    There was no decent run-off after the finish line (immediately after it the road bent round to the riders' left, or the barriers did) so that with the wet and the cobbles / flagstones the riders were on the brakes for the last 50-100m!
    Now I'm no meteorologist, but I believe rain is not unheard-of in Santiago DC.
    And I'm no race organiser, but making a TT so 'technical' that riders are forced onto the brakes for the closing straight seems a little counter-intuitive.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,578
    agree with all the comments about the pointlessness of such a short TT as a final stage but also - what about the set-up of the finish!?
    There was no decent run-off after the finish line (immediately after it the road bent round to the riders' left, or the barriers did) so that with the wet and the cobbles / flagstones the riders were on the brakes for the last 50-100m!
    Now I'm no meteorologist, but I believe rain is not unheard-of in Santiago DC.
    And I'm no race organiser, but making a TT so 'technical' that riders are forced onto the brakes for the closing straight seems a little counter-intuitive.

I think the main reason they were rolling the last few minutes was due to the final time being taken prior to what should have been the last corner. It took a while to realise this (and Carlton only noticed on the final couple of riders)!
  • vuelta14st21-hansenrainTTbig_zpsf20050c6.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross wrote:
    I think the main reason they were rolling the last few minutes was due to the final time being taken prior to what should have been the last corner. It took a while to realise this (and Carlton only noticed on the final couple of riders)!

ah right ok! - but still, the point stands: if they needed to do that then it was an awful / inappropriate course set-up.
  • In his hometown of Pinto. People's favourite. Record book's favourite.
    BxmMkezCQAA2-T3.jpg
    BxvLrE7IgAAagHZ.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • salsiccia1
    Record book's favourite.

*sigh*
    1. Eddy Merckx = 11 GTs
    2. Bernard Hinault = 10
    3. Jacques Anquetil = 8
    4. Fausti Coppi = 7
    4. Miguel Indurain = 7
    6. Alberto Contador = 6

He's good, but not that good yet.
  • So only two cyclist's in the entire history of cycling that have more GT wins then him. Pretty f*ucking good bike rider I would say.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    5. Good, but not really "the record book's favourite".
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    So only two cyclist's in the entire history of cycling that have more GT wins then him. Pretty f*ucking good bike rider I would say.
    And only one rider in the history of cycling has been stripped of more GTs. So he's nearer to the record book on that count.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,633
    RichN95 wrote:
    So only two cyclist's in the entire history of cycling that have more GT wins then him. Pretty f*ucking good bike rider I would say.
    And only one rider in the history of cycling has been stripped of more GTs. So he's nearer to the record book on that count.

But if the same standards of testing and GT stripping had been applied throughout the history of cycling, he would be an also ran. Still, Lance would take some beating.
  • Indeed, everyone on that list was doped apart from Hinault. I would say Merckx only did small things.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    In his hometown of Pinto. People's favourite. Record book's favourite.
    BxmMkezCQAA2-T3.jpg
    He gets around a bit does Alberto:
    WIOsR1z.png
    QLhDQt6.png
    LiM7GHJ.png
    0Oypq59.png
    MRZgYeo.png
    yiU7Sjk.png
    xS0WlEW.png