Fork Crown Race

2plus2
2plus2 Posts: 53
edited September 2014 in Workshop
I recently picked up a good deal on a second hand fork and the previous owner seems to have left the fork crown race installed. Are they relatively standard and interchangeable between headsets? I was hoping to just transfer the rest of the current FSA headset (think it's an Orbit MX) and use the crown race fitted to the new fork rather than faffing about swapping them over between forks...but I don't know if this is possible.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The crown race is headset specific.

It has no relation to the fork other than it sits on it. It is part of the headset.

Remove it and use yours.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ok, thought that might be the case. Thanks.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try it - there isn't really much difference between types, with the most popular being 45 degrees. Slide the lower headset bearing over the crown to see if it seats square and firm with no gaps or rocking. If the forks rock when fitted, then obviously swap over.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hmm...I might give that a quick shot just to see, but the FSA uses a 36 degree cartridge so if it is a 45 degree crown race then I'll be out of luck. Think I'll just take to a local workshop to see if they can swap them over. Cheers.