Probably a stupid question about curcuits.....

class5700
class5700 Posts: 65
edited September 2014 in Pro race
this may sound daft, but watching the Vuelta the other day, with a circuit around Logroño, and also thinking about the circuit around the Champs Élysées, has it ever happened that a breakaway has gotten so far ahead that they've managed to latch onto the back of the peloton?

not likely with the circuit length in Logroño I know, but maybe on a shorter circuit somewhere sometime? would be hilarious if it had actually happened. :D

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Tim Krabbe (of 'The Rider') has a story about this almost happening in the Tour de France in the 1970s. You can even imagine scenarios of team mates dropping back, etc. Apparently the Tour de France decided not to do away with finishing circuits ever since (apart from Champs Elysees)
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    Almost happened at World Champs in Geelong a few years back.
  • Unless the terrain is varied, circuits don't make for great TV either... "there's the finish line... again". Prefer the point to point stages but some regions seem to like them (Poland and the North American races).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    In a one day race like the worlds, if a group laps the rest, the rest are disqualified afaik.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Finishing circuits (apart from the Champs elysees) yuck, booooring.
  • Jon Mould from NFTO managed this in this years Tour series in Stike on Trent. Took him about half an hour on a course measuring about a mile
  • tetm
    tetm Posts: 564
    Paul 8v wrote:

Paris-Roubaix has a great finishing circuit with a longer history than the Tour on the Champs...
  • Seen it happen in the Tour of Poland before. Think it was Dan Martin who won the stage in the end, but the grupetto had to move over to one side and then do another lap after he'd finished.

Granted, that's less a breakaway catching up more dropped riders coming back, but it's the same principle. Cheng Ji was lapped on the Champs of course, as well.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    tetm wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Paris-Roubaix has a great finishing circuit with a longer history than the Tour on the Champs...
    Paris-Roubaix just followed the "Normal" in the old days. I've been a couple of times to the TDF finish on the Parc des Princes track in Paris and Barry Hoban (England) won some stages on tracks around France.

I have memories of the Folkstone to London cycle race finishing on Herne Hill Track and a stage of the Tour of Britain finishing there also.
    I never thought I would see the day that Central London would close roads for a Circuit Cycle Race.(or a Marathon)
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972