Headset spacers & where to cut?

Capt.Ramjet
Capt.Ramjet Posts: 32
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi, I'm pretty new to cycling but have been training hard for 6 months (for me at least: 7-10hrs per week) on my Giant Defy. I've now decided to treat myself to an extravagant bike for my 40th - a Cannondale Supersix Evo Hi Mod.

I've bought the frame and am having it built up at the LBS. My question is on headset spacers. Coming from the Defy the Evo is a much racier fit. I've been fitted for the frame size, but I expect I'll need 30mm or so of spacers until my flexibility and comfort adapt to the new bike - I'll decrease the spacers over time.

I presume the LBS will cut the fork tube based on the number of spacers I advise. Any advice on this? Is there any sort of standard people often leave for good future adustability (perhaps second hand flexibility)? I can obviously ask for spacers above the stem. I really want to lean towards future flexibility.

Any advice for a newbie very welcome. Thanks
'14 Supersix Evo HM
'13 Defy 0

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Start at your current bike position and work from there. You should also be able to flip your stem.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    put your 30mm under the stem and 5 mm on top of the stem. If you need to lower the stem in the future take from under and put on top. You may need to have a bit more removed from the fork steerer as the bars come down to prevent having too many spacers above the stem. If you want keep options open you can always have 15mm above the stem once youve found your desired position. Not very pro looking but who gives a sht.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Many thanks for the replies.
    '14 Supersix Evo HM
    '13 Defy 0