Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Trail advice

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,306
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Looking at doing Llandegla and Coed Brenin in October have only done Cannock and Sherwood so how does it compare. Have seen the videos and i except that the distances are bigger, but was wondering if any more technical than say Follow the dog or the Monkey trail at cannock which i'm comfortable with.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• nonnac85nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    They are a bit harder in terms of obstacles / length of climbs in one go although in terms of effort Llandegla is probably similar to doing the dog and monkey together. You can always use the chicken runs!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • BriggoBriggo Posts: 3,823
    oxoman wrote:
    Looking at doing Llandegla and Coed Brenin in October have only done Cannock and Sherwood so how does it compare. Have seen the videos and i except that the distances are bigger, but was wondering if any more technical than say Follow the dog or the Monkey trail at cannock which i'm comfortable with.

A fair bit more technical but still very rollable, the black sections at cannock are not far off from the really techy sections in Coed.
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Degla isn't tech at all, but much more fun than Cannock, and infinitely more fun than pines. Coed y brenin is excellent, but still not very technical, with the exception of a couple of bits of trail.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Ryan JonesRyan Jones Posts: 775
    I'd say either of them ride better in the wet than Cannock Chase, so ideal for an October excursion.
    Degla isn't really technical at all, it's more down to the speed you carry and the swoopy nature resulting in ease of getting airbourne (and resulting crashes from the unexpecting :lol: )
    CYB, considerably more technical and you may want to watch tyre choice (read make sure you have decent ones) as the rocks are slippery and plentiful. Plenty of choice there, going there in two weeks myself.

Also consider Machynlleth's climach-x, penmachno and the marin. Rode the former two and enjoyed both of them, with the marin being close to penmachno so worth a go whilst there.
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    Don't worry about trails being more difficult than your regular. It's good to push yourself occasionally and you might be surprised how much fun you have on something more technical.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,306
    Thanks for the replys, looking to do them alternate days, may get an extra days pass out to try somewhere else fingers crossed.
  • ilovedirtilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    After having recently ridden some scottish trail centre blacks, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with regards to anything the welsh trail centres can throw at you!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
    Just an update got back this evening after doing Coed Brenin, beast of brenin and Tarw Du both hardwork climbing but good fun Also did Betwys Coed Marin trail plenty of climbing but fast flowing single track awesome. Finally did Llandegla black run this afternoon. 63 miles on hard terrain 9000 ft plus of climbing over 2 days 1 puncture no injuries 3 very happy old men, Sorry 40 plus old men. Feature in top 3rd of most strava segments so well chuffed, scotland next time perhaps.cheers for the encouragement to those who replied, would recommend Brenin or Lladegla to anyone wanting to do something harder than cannock.
  • I did Llandegla black a few days ago. Technically very easy, easier than most reds I have ridden (Afan, BPW, FoD, Grizedale) but it's physically tougher. I wouldn't go back.
    Llandegla i found was very fast and currently very hard work in places due to forestry work but i can only really compare it against Brenin, Marin trail and Cannock so for me was a big step up from what i'm used to normally. Can't wait for the next time.
  • I did Llandegla black a few days ago. Technically very easy, easier than most reds I have ridden (Afan, BPW, FoD, Grizedale) but it's physically tougher. I wouldn't go back.

Hi Rockmonkey.

What was physically harder with Llandegla ? My 9 year old is going on he wants to go there, he's ridded a most of CyB just so I know what to expect for him.
  • No idea what the red or blue are like but the climbs on the black can get quite steep in places.
    The black descent was very fast in places but not tech. I found some of the tables too short for the speed we were carrying in to them and we all ended up scrubing the jumps to avoid braking in to them.
    Strangely, the biggest drop we rode was on a red section but that was only 1.5 - 2 feet and avoidable.
    There were people riding the blue with quite young children.
    The cafe does good coffee & cake and the view from the top of the first climb was pretty good.
    The freeride trail was a bit of fun but not child friendly, the pump track and skills area would be good though.
  • Cheers for the reply, we did the dragons back on Saturday which was quite good bar for some of the long forest road climbs for a tiny little bit of single track, think I would miss them out when we go again.