Bike for £200 with one gront gear

stanek.94
stanek.94 Posts: 12
edited September 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi!
I had bike Arkus VIP 5.0
http://wwww.katalogrowerowy.pl/userdata ... e/5369.jpg
but I would like to buy new bike but similiar to that one but with only one big front gear because I never used lower gears. I always ride on the heaviest gear.
I have £200. Is it enough?
Is it cheaper to buy new or buy by myself?

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    What's the 'f' in 200f? Any bike, maybe including yours, with removable chainrings could be converted, which is probably far easier than trying to find a bike with a specific type of gearing for a limited(?) budget.
  • 200£ :)
    Mine is sold. I have no bike at the moment. So is it possible to buy good MTB for 200£? Or is it cheaper to build?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    In England £ goes before number.

And who knows - define 'good'. You won't be building anything decent (useable off road) new for £200 that's for sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you want a decent bike for £200, buy a used one, you won't get one new and you certainly wont build one new for that.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But neither of those have a single ring, and one is a road bike.
    If you only ever use the big ring in Wales, you should be in the olympic team.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps That 'lightweight' road bike weighs more than my full sus mountain bike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • But I could change a ring. Are those bikes good for basic riding? I am not a sportsmen
  • cooldad
    Basic on road maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Perhaps you could be clear what you actually want! What do you want to use it for and how fast do you think you'll go.

With the hills round Aber (the daughter was there for 3 years at Uni) a single ring wont cut it, make it small enough to go up and you wont be able to pedal coming down and you'll spin out on the flat.

Changing either of those to single ring would cost you at least £25 in new parts (less if you buy used).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Ok, and if I buy any of those on ebay for £200 will it be ok? I would change ring when I would collect some money...
  • The Rookie
    Neither is particularly good but the viking road bike is probably better than the pseudo mountain bike, what is the hang up with riding with one ring at the front, you change things to make a bike better, not worse.

If I were you I'd decide what you want the bike for, then decide from that what type of bike you want and then get a good used one that suites.
  • Man, I ride a bike for years on only one gear, the hardest. Dont tell me what is better for me. I asked which bike would be cheaper. Bought or builded myself.
  • cooldad
    Work out what bits you need, add them up and compare to a complete bike.

But it's probably worth working out whether you want to ride on or off road first.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    For £200 you'll get much better value buying a used bike, certainly compared to the two eBay bikes above.

If for off road then If for off road then something like at Carrera Fury, Vulcan or Kraken can be had for less than £200 on eBay or Pinkbike. Should leave enough cash to buy new chainring.

If for on road, then maybe a used Carrera TDF... but I don't really know enough about road bikes to suggest any others. Again, there's a couple of TDFs on Pinkbike for £200.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    edited August 2014
    stanek.94 wrote:
    Man, I ride a bike for years on only one gear, the hardest. Dont tell me what is better for me. I asked which bike would be cheaper. Bought or builded myself.
    Yeah, but you still can't tell us what sort of riding you want to do 'man', or why you want one 'gront' ring, or even know what is good and what is tat.

When offering guidance, the first thing you do is make sure the person asking got the question right, many don't, hence why people ask such questions.

So what riding do you want to do?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    stanek.94 wrote:
    Man, I ride a bike for years on only one gear, the hardest. Dont tell me what is better for me. I asked which bike would be cheaper. Bought or builded myself.

Who's the big bad troll, under that bridge.
  • I ride on road. @CitizenLee thanks for models
  • The Rookie
    In that case, forget a mountain bike, pointless on road, you just add weight and complexity unnecessarily.

So long rides (20+ miles) or shorter ones?

A decent used road bike is the Carrera Virtuoso which is better equipped than the TDF, or you could consider a Hybrid, either the Carrera Gryphon (larger 700c wheels, but 28mm maximum width) or the Subway (a hardtail mountian bike frame with rigid forks), any would be a much much better bike that the 2 bits of ebay tat you linked to. Not sure about the Virtuoso but the latter two will both take mountain bike cassettes giving a wider gear range with a single front ring, my commuter is a Carrera Gryphon with a single front ring and uses mostly mountain bike bits.
  • About 30-40 miles per day.
    ^ Carrera Virtuoso - I've never ridden a bike with a handlebar like that. Always riser handlebars.
    I'm not sure if I won't have any problems with that handlebar....
    Thanks for your reply :)
    I am from Poland and in Poland bike like Carrera Virtuoso costs max £100....
    Are those Carreras worth their prices?
  • The Rookie
    It may look like the virtuoso, but I assure you you cant build a bike like that for £100, I visit India a lot and a bike like that only costs about 15% less than the UK as the bulk of the cost is in the parts which are all made in Taiwan.

If you don't like a bike with dropped bars, get one of the other two which are flat barred.

Carrera's are very good value, Decathlon stores also do some good bikes but none near you and few come up used.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're doing ~40 miles per day, I'd consider saving a bit more as it'll be worth it in the long run. Perhaps use bottom end chains, cassettes and rings as consumables though to save.
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    Look on pink bike, ebay, gumtree, here and any other bike forums for parts. I built mine for a touch over 500 and if I had bought components new off the shelf it would have been 2000. Yes, it's risky (front wheel needed bearings, seat post gave up first time out) but even then it was/is a bargain.

My spec for 500 quid is this:
    Giant Reign 2 (2005) frame 
    Fox 36r talas (2005) fork
    DT Swiss ex5.1D rims on DT Swiss 440 hubs 
    Panaracer Razer 2.1 tyres
    Sunline V One OS bars 711mm 
    Formula The One FR brakes with Goodrich braided hoses 
    Formula 203mm/180mm rotors 
    Formula 203mm/180mm mounts 
    Rotor bolts stainless steel
    Sudpin NC-17 pedals
    XT M780 i-spec B shifters 
    XTR bar mount adapter 
    XT M785 front mech 
    XT M780 rear mech 
    XT M770 crank arms 
    Renthal 38t SR4 chainring
    XT M770 24t chainring
    XT M771 Bottom bracket 
    XT M771 11-36 10 speed cassette
    CN-HG95 Deore XT chain
    Syncros seatpost 
    Giant Reign OEM clamp 
    Arte Selle Dakar carbon saddle 
    Lizardskin Peaty lock-on grips 
    Truvative AKA stem 70mm 
    Spacers (20mm) unbranded
    Outers unbranded
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stanek.94 wrote:
    About 30-40 miles per day.
    ^ Carrera Virtuoso - I've never ridden a bike with a handlebar like that. Always riser handlebars.
    I'm not sure if I won't have any problems with that handlebar....
    Thanks for your reply :)
    I am from Poland and in Poland bike like Carrera Virtuoso costs max £100....
    Are those Carreras worth their prices?

I ride 36 miles a day to get to work and back. A road bike is so much quicker and easier than a mountain bike. The gear ratios are better, the skinny slick tyres roll super fast and the riding position is much more comfortable if you ride fast. Having three hand positions on the bars means you can move around a bit to stay comfortable.
    I can easily do my 18 mile commute in under 55 minutes on my road bike (Boardman Road Race). The same ride would probably take an hour and a quater to an hour and a half on my mountain bike.
    If you're doing a lot of miles it's worth spending more to get a bike with parts which will last. Mine cost £700 and after around 9000 miles all I have had to replace is a bottom bracket a chain and a cassette.
  • But ride on mountain bike is more comfortable, you dont have to slouch and its easier to ride without holding a handlebar
  • The Rookie
    So get a flat barred Hybrid, I use one for commuting and often do 20+ miles on it no problem, I can average circa 20mph on it.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    stanek.94 wrote:
    But ride on mountain bike is more comfortable...

Not when you have to work five times as hard to get where you want to go, it isn't.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • rickbst170
    rickbst170 Posts: 228
    stanek.94 wrote:
    But ride on mountain bike is more comfortable...

Not when you have to work five times as hard to get where you want to go, it isn't.

Agree with this whole heartedly. I only do a short commute on mine and it is awful. Off the road it's brilliant but on road it's so much hard work compared to a road bike. Even if I put slicks on it the shock sucks all the power, gears are all wrong, bars too wide, it's too heavy, the list goes on.

If your not going to go off road get a road bike. If you're going to ride bridalways get a hybrid (never thought I'd ever suggest a dirty hybrid to anyone lol). Or save up and buy a cheap road bike ans cheap mountain bike. They're both so different I don't believe you can ever find a decent compromise
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stanek.94 wrote:
    But ride on mountain bike is more comfortable, you dont have to slouch and its easier to ride without holding a handlebar

Have you ever tried a road bike?
    I hate road cycling but for my daily commute on roads it's so much better than my mountain bike.
    The shorter frame means that although the bars are lower your position is no less upright.