difficulty seating tyre

yanto
yanto Posts: 51
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Hi Guys, I've never had this bad a problem trying to seat tyres on wheels - help! just bought some crosslight cx disc wheels and putting my old schwable cx pro tyres on - actually one of the tyre is brand new. the old tyre on the front wheel refuses to seat properly so everytime I spin it on the bike its wobbling terribly. taken it off several times, tried a different inner tube, squidged (not a word I know) it back and forth all around and to no no avail. Got one part to fit but other parts refusing. :shock: the new tyre on the back is better but still bit of a problem certainly not round. help!!
bringing pain to the masses

Comments

• yanto
    yanto Posts: 51
    read the other posts and the washing liquid worked just fine - now just have to work out how to carry a bottle when I'm out on the trail!!
    bringing pain to the masses
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    If you are out on a 'trail' you need to use the plant Soapwort, high in natural saponins ie soap, if you are having a problem recognizing this plant then Bracken (Pteridium aquilinum) is another native plant that is rich in saponins, but maybe this is a bit 'Ray Mears' for you, you could just carry one of those wrapped mini soaps from the hotel bathrooms :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    yanto wrote:
    Hi Guys, I've never had this bad a problem trying to seat tyres on wheels - help! just bought some crosslight cx disc wheels and putting my old schwable cx pro tyres on - actually one of the tyre is brand new. the old tyre on the front wheel refuses to seat properly so everytime I spin it on the bike its wobbling terribly. taken it off several times, tried a different inner tube, squidged (not a word I know) it back and forth all around and to no no avail. Got one part to fit but other parts refusing. :shock: the new tyre on the back is better but still bit of a problem certainly not round. help!!

Have you swapped the tyres around to eliminate if its a rim/tyre defect?
  • damocles10
    damocles10 Posts: 340
    I had a nightmare trying to fit tyres to Campags - I found a tip online ( can't find the link sorry ) whereby you tightly tie string or zip ties around the tyre as you fit the tyre around the rim. This created just enough slack at the end to pop the last bit over. It worked for me. perhaps it's worth a shot.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Over inflate the tyre and it should seat properly, I had this issue with a fulcrum wheel once and that was the only answer to the problem.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    damocles10 wrote:
    I had a nightmare trying to fit tyres to Campags - I found a tip online ( can't find the link sorry ) whereby you tightly tie string or zip ties around the tyre as you fit the tyre around the rim. This created just enough slack at the end to pop the last bit over. It worked for me. perhaps it's worth a shot.

I carry a couple of nylon straps (the "old fashioned way" was using toe strap straps) to do this with Marathons. Problem with zip ties is undoing them afterwards!