Ultegra 6700 cassette issue.

milleman
milleman Posts: 181
edited August 2014 in Workshop
I have recently had a new rear wheel built up, its a Mavic open pro rim with an Ultegra hub. The original was an open pro rim on a Dura Ace hub.
The rear cassette is an 11-28, this was changed earlier this year together with a new chain and has probably done 1500 miles.
Since I got the new wheel I have had an issue with a rattle from the rear and a general feeling that the drivetrain is very noisy. I have just noticed after washing the bike that the 11-19 tooth gears that are seperate components on the cassette have a noticeable amount of play on the new hub, is this normal?. The cassette securing lock nut is secure, the free play is in the direction of rotation, ie not side to side (if that makes sense....)
Will pop on to my LBS on Monday and ask them to check but I don't recall the same issue with the last cassette on the. Dura Ace hub.
Can anyone comment as to whether this is normal?

Thx.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Have you got the black plastic spacers in between the 11-19 tooth sprockets?
  • milleman
    Will strip the rear wheel out and check, but could a missing spacer cause this?, it seems to me that the cassette and hub may not be compatible (thats if this is a fault of course).
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Sounds as though the lock nut has not tightened against the cassette. Check that the spacer at the back of the cassette is in place.
  • milleman
    Have stripped the cassette, all four spacers are there and the lock ring was tight. There are marks on the free hub body where the 11-19 tooth gears have obviously been moving, not bad but they are there.
    Will take it into my LBS and see what they say, to my mind its not right.
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Did you use the spacer washer on the free hub prior to putting the cassette on, sounds as if it is missing to me.
  • milleman
    my LBS fitted the cassette off my old wheel onto the new hub, there is a metal spacer between the cassette and freehub. To me it seems as if there is just too much play on the splines between the hub body and splines.
    Just had a thought, could the new freehub be for an 11 speed cassette and due to the cassette being 10 speed could this be why the lock nut is not tightening the cassette properly?
  • NewTTer
    Yep indeed, which isn't the end of the world you just need another spacer
  • milleman
    Think I may have fixed it, checking on the Shimano technical website I could see that the 6800 (11 speed) freehub needs the extra spacer as you mentioned NewTTer. Looking at the rear hub it clearly has marked "6800" so its for the 11 speed cassette, the LBS has fitted the wrong hub OR didnt fit the spacer. Thankfully I picked up the spacer when I called in for the new rear wheel....
    Mounted the bike on the work stand, quickly fitted the extra spacer and it SEEMS to be much sweeter, certainly the 11-19 gears have tightened up onto the freehub body and there is no rotational free play.
    Will have to wait till the forecasted bad weather is through, but I hope it's sorted.
    Nice to have an answer.....:)
    Thanks for your replies!.
  • NewTTer
    No worries glad you are sorted
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    milleman wrote:
    Looking at the rear hub it clearly has marked "6800" so its for the 11 speed cassette, the LBS has fitted the wrong hub OR didnt fit the spacer. Thankfully I picked up the spacer when I called in for the new rear wheel....

On that evidence I'd be reassessing my choice of LBS. With the advent of 11-speed (6800 etc) it should be top priority for any mechanic to check the compatibility of cassette and freehub before allowing customers to ride wheels that are not inherently safe.

Loose sprockets could have caused a mechanical failure with potentially dire consequences
  • milleman
    Thats very true, sadly they left the securing bolts loose earlier in the year when fitting a new chainring....

Problem is I am running out of choice where I live, the other two (including one very well known large shop) are very poor..

Would really like to do a mechanic course, am semi-retired so have the time and it would be interesting.
  • NewTTer
    arlowood wrote:
    milleman wrote:
    Looking at the rear hub it clearly has marked "6800" so its for the 11 speed cassette, the LBS has fitted the wrong hub OR didnt fit the spacer. Thankfully I picked up the spacer when I called in for the new rear wheel....

On that evidence I'd be reassessing my choice of LBS. With the advent of 11-speed (6800 etc) it should be top priority for any mechanic to check the compatibility of cassette and freehub before allowing customers to ride wheels that are not inherently safe.

Loose sprockets could have caused a mechanical failure with potentially dire consequences
    Very very unlikely, the worst that probably would have happened is a lot of noise which the OP already had, also freehubs of differing lengths have been about for ages, so its not a new innovation that requires a LBS mech to be hung drawn and quartered for, Mavic free hubs when running shimano have always required the extra thick spacer for example, you can quite easily manage to run the latest 11 sped cassettes on what was then a 10 speed Mavic hub.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    milleman wrote:

Would really like to do a mechanic course, am semi-retired so have the time and it would be interesting.

Do a course by all means but my advice is to just give it a go. I'm fully retired and was always a fairly keen cyclist but never really got too much involved with the mechanical side of things apart from the very basic stuff.

However in the last 3 years, spurred on by the input on these forums, I have taken the plunge and have just recently finished my 3rd bike build starting from the purchase of a frame then acquiring the components to assemble the finished article. Plenty of helpful videos on YouTube and advice on the Park Tools website:-

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help