Something fell off Boardman Team Carbon

rodofgod76
rodofgod76 Posts: 31
edited August 2014 in Workshop
Took my new Team Carbon out for its first proper run yesterday, and whilst going over some bumpy stuff I heard something metallic hit the crank but thought it was road debris. When I got home my mate noticed a cover on the left hand crank was missing, revealing what looks like an Allen head where you'd remove the crank arm. It's an FSA Gossamer chainset.......anyone know if this cover is part of the crank retaining setup? Bike is two weeks old, guessing it wasn't fully tightened at Halfords.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Not familiar with the FSA set up but it sounds like a cover plate similar to the type found on Shimano Hollowtech cranks. I would guess it's not part of the retaining integrity but rather to keep out dirt etc.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I think you might find it hard to remove the crank arm without it should you ever need to do so. I think (but couldn't find the manual) that this is a self extracting crank set up so the nut inside will push against this missing cap when you undo it to pull the crank arm off. Its not needed for every day use, but you will need it to remove the crank arm easily. Pop back and see if they can get you a spare these thing are often not tightened properly and they may agree.

Should look something like this:
    bbt39_743.jpg

@Crescent - The plastic cap on the hollowtech is to pretension the crank arm a bit like a stem cap does. Though I agree its not essential.
  • I had a TC that did the same thing. Fortunately I stopped and found the ring. I reinstalled it with some Loctite 243.

The ring (which has a LH thread) is required to be in place to remove the crankset.

I would suggest going back to where it fell off and see if you can find it or go back to Halfords and get them to replace it as it clearly was not checked before delivery.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've read dozens of threads about these things falling off, often so early in the bike's life that owners never realised they had them. Until that is they need to remove the cranks.

Get a replacement and loctite it in. Or just keep it in your toolbox so that you're sure to have it come crank removal time.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    My S-Works crank arms have a screw cap which has to be removed with an allen key before I can insert the torque wrench tool inside the crank to remove it. I wonder if your crank had a similar cover.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    rodofgod76 wrote:
    Took my new Team Carbon out for its first proper run yesterday, and whilst going over some bumpy stuff I heard something metallic hit the crank but thought it was road debris. When I got home my mate noticed a cover on the left hand crank was missing, revealing what looks like an Allen head where you'd remove the crank arm. It's an FSA Gossamer chainset.......anyone know if this cover is part of the crank retaining setup? Bike is two weeks old, guessing it wasn't fully tightened at Halfords.

Good job its not one of those things that would have been fitted by Halfords then. Best keep your rage for the man at the Boardman factory who assembled the bike. Halfords would have just pulled it out of the box, straightened the bars and put seat post in.

I'm guessing someone didn't look over their shiny new properly before riding it ..........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its entirely possible that the assembler tightened the crank as part of the PDI but failed to tighten the cap after. In any case responsibility sits with the retailer so soon after purchase, irrelevant of who actually failed in the process.

That is unless they gave you a booklet saying you should check it. I think though its only a couple of quid to replace.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Good job its not one of those things that would have been fitted by Halfords then. Best keep your rage for the man at the Boardman factory who assembled the bike. Halfords would have just pulled it out of the box, straightened the bars and put seat post in.

I'm guessing someone didn't look over their shiny new properly before riding it ..........

Yup - Halfords own the problem. I think it's disingenuous to think the OP should have spotted this. Of all the things you're going to check, this must be pretty low on the list.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lpretro1
    lpretro1 Posts: 237
    It is a very low torque setting for these caps - it is something which should be checked often :shock:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    lpretro1 wrote:
    It is a very low torque setting for these caps - it is something which should be checked often :shock:

Then it's not fit for purpose.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Call me stupid but will the OP not still be able to remove the crank with a conventional crank extractor?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • No. When you undo the bolt that sits under this ring (see pic above) it initially goes slack and then goes firm again as the head of the bolt come up against the underside of this ring. You continue undoing the bolt and it pushes the crank arm off the shaft. That is the reason why this ring has a LH thread.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I have 2 FSA Gossamer cranks on my bikes. They are not the same.

The older one is attached in a similar way to Hollowtech II. There is a central bolt that is used to pretension the bearings and there are two allen bolts that grip the BB axle. If you have lost this one then the crank will come off if you loosen the two allen bolts but you won't be able to pretension when you replace the crank.
    P1100241_zps19dc33a1.jpg

The newer one is a BB6200 and has a single central bolt that attaches the the crank to the axle. This bolt is also the self extractor. If you had one of these then I think you would of lost your crank arm as well.
    P1100240_zps67e86876.jpg
  • The Gossamer on my Carrera is like the one in the 3rd post, the arm is held on by the central bolt and the outer ring with 6 shallow holes in it is a seperate piece. the outer rind is purely there for taking out the bolt that holds the crank on and as above is only in at a very low torque, around 1.5nm.
    It is not critical for riding, but is for servicing the bb and crank.
    Go back to Halfords and explain what has happened, they should get you one fron Windwave pretty quickly and for the few pounds they cost they will probably do it under warranty for you.
    Once you get it either loctitie it in or leave it off and keep it somewhere safe
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Crescent wrote:
    Not familiar with the FSA set up but it sounds like a cover plate similar to the type found on Shimano Hollowtech cranks. I would guess it's not part of the retaining integrity but rather to keep out dirt etc.

I'll get my coat :oops:
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • I don't know exactly where it fell off, and it was on a rough section of road and I was travelling down hill at over 30mph. So not much chance of retrieving it. Considering this was it's first proper outing, I wouldn't have expected anything to have fallen off. I assumed I was receiving the bike fully assembled when I picked it up, didn't think for one moment I'd have to tighten a cover on the crank. :? In hindsight I should have.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    While it's not a bad idea to have a look over your bike before you took it home you shouldn't have needed to. Halfords have a responsibility to give you the bike in good order (I'd include 'nothing falling off' in that).

I'd take it into the store and ask for a replacement part then pop it in with a bit of loctite.

It may have been the factories fault rather than the shops but since Halfords just bought Boardman bikes it's the same thing...